NO where close to Matt....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
But I only have one-arm and I just recently got SSI certified.

I'm wondering if there would be any chance that I could possibly become a DM or something of that sort. I figured maybe a Instructor for handicapped people would be something to do as students with a handicap could possibly relate to me and me to them.

Is there currently anyone on SB that's handicapped and is an Instructor or DM? Or anyone know of a place I could go to find out how/if I could become one?

Thanks for any info.

Michael

I have a dive buddy who is a paraplegic and was certified as a NAUI Assistant Instructor. We are limited by our imaginations, not our bodies.

I agree 100%. Trust me I know too. I've done MORE than what anyone thought I could do. I'm not supposed to be able to hang dry wall, I did it for almost a year. I could keep going and going, but I think we both know my point.

I guess I'm mainly looking for the proper steps to take to get to that point. I need to look up NAUI and see what information I can get from them.

Thanks for the post. I will keep you updated.

Michael

Just want to say "Way t' Go...!" :cheering:

Check with HSA Scuba as well.
Ber :lilbunny:

dude, go for it! there's usually a way around most anything

(i know... i've been working without a brain for almost 40 years and nobody's noticed yet ... well... iTHINK nobody's noticed yet ....)

:wink:

mwhities:
I agree 100%. Trust me I know too. I've done MORE than what anyone thought I could do. I'm not supposed to be able to hang dry wall, I did it for almost a year. I could keep going and going, but I think we both know my point.

I guess I'm mainly looking for the proper steps to take to get to that point. I need to look up NAUI and see what information I can get from them.

Thanks for the post. I will keep you updated.

Michael

The only limitation for NAUI is if you couldn't do a specific skill required in the Leadership courses. I can't think of any that you couldn't do even with the missing arm. A couple of them would be more difficult, but not impossible.

If you need a course director when you are ready let me know.

Best,

Chris

NAUI CD and Rep

H2Andy:
dude, go for it! there's usually a way around most anything

(i know... i've been working without a brain for almost 40 years and nobody's noticed yet ... well... iTHINK nobody's noticed yet ....)

:wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

send Cudachaser here on the board a PM. He is an HSA instructor who also has a disability. There is also Admiral Dive Center in fla. The owner instructor has one leg lost when a tank blew. His name is Bill Gordon. They even have an ADA compliant dive boat.

Back
Top Bottom