non-dive shops that perform hydro's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
So I've been looking around for non-dive shops that will do hydro's on scuba tanks. Haven't gotten too far in my search, but I'm looking around the San Jose-Palo Alto area. Anyone have any thoughts/inputs. I've heard of one in Livermore but I'm not sure which shop. Ace Fire in Palo Alto does, but it's still $35 for steel tanks and $40 for "composite"(???). But they quote a 24-48hr turnaround time so it might be worth it in a pinch. Anyone have some input? I'll update this as I find more.

Places that don't do SCUBA:
Nickell Fire in SJ
Bay Hydraulics (SJ)

I had a recommendation last year, I had already had my tanks hydro'd so it was too late to use. Can't verify the accuracy.

When your tanks do
need a hydro, take them to River City Fire Equipment in West Sacramento. It
costs about $15 for a hydro and they turn it around in a day,not the couple of
weeks at your LDS and $40-$50

Thanks Keith- that'll help if I'm ever up in that area.

Chrpai- I know they don't. There's one near me that is actually certified and another about an hour away, but for the most part I'm trying to find where they outsource to. Not a huge fan of paying $40 every 5 years if I can pay $20 instead. I've looked at that list, but many don't do SCUBA.

Next time you go diving take a note of the RIN's you see on various tanks. You should come up with a bucket list of 3-4. Then look at that website and see who they are.

Didn't know about that, thanks! And now- I can't find the RIN number from my tank on the DOT list. it's stamped as:
B3

Only place near me that does hydro's has an RIN of B325- think that might be it?

The RIN is read clockwise from upper left. B325 is correct.

Edit - Looks like the winner is Ace Fire in Palo Alto.

Fire fighters use a breathing tank that's fiberglass (or some sort of fiber) over an aluminum shell. Light weight, but short useful life. I think that's what they mean by composite. You can probably find out more by Googling: SCBA tank

Me? If it's convenient I have Pacific Coast SCUBA do the hydro in-house, otherwise I just have the dive shop send it out. It helps that we have 12 tanks (and dive singles).

Chuck

we take ours to acme fire in oakland we do from 5 to 15 a week I gthink they charge the public about 18$ we charge 25 fore steel and 30 for alum thats back with air

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 10:51 PM ----------

thats RIX oil free nonlube air

FWIW, I don't mind paying the LDS a premium for being the go between. I stopped doing that though when I had dive shops say stupid things like a painted scuba tank can't be hydro'd or sending LP 3AA tanks to hydro shops that won't do + ratings.

Sometimes when you want something done right you have to do it yourself. Saving a few $$$ is minimal.

Back
Top Bottom