non-dive shops that perform hydro's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carbonic Services on De La Cruz Blvd in Santa Clara quoted me at $30 per aluminum tank last year. Might be about the same now.

$30-$35 for hydro at a "hydro only" facility is not really any better than LDS at all. Because you still have to have visual inspection at LDS after hydro, and that is easily another $10-15. Unless you have many tanks, after considering time and effort to get the tank to the hydro facility, LDS turns out to be about the same. It is kind of sucks for our area that everything is more expansive.

Aquatic discovery in San Jose used to charge $35 for hydro+viz per tank. Not sure if they still do. If they still do, I think it is hard to beat them for the cost. Words of caution is that their turn around time is quite long. They accumulate a batch of tank, then send out for hydro at once. I think this is how they keep the cost down.

$30-$35 for hydro at a "hydro only" facility is not really any better than LDS at all. Because you still have to have visual inspection at LDS after hydro, and that is easily another $10-15. Unless you have many tanks, after considering time and effort to get the tank to the hydro facility, LDS turns out to be about the same. It is kind of sucks for our area that everything is more expansive.

Aquatic discovery in San Jose used to charge $35 for hydro+viz per tank. Not sure if they still do. If they still do, I think it is hard to beat them for the cost. Words of caution is that their turn around time is quite long. They accumulate a batch of tank, then send out for hydro at once. I think this is how they keep the cost down.

A hydro includes a visual inspection. The additional $10-15 is for a sticker. If you need a sticker to get a fill, well, no one ever said diving was inexpensive.....

A hydro includes a visual inspection. The additional $10-15 is for a sticker. If you need a sticker to get a fill, well, no one ever said diving was inexpensive.....

Exactly, I have no doubt hydro includes a visual, but you can't get filled without visual sticker, at least in SF Bayarea. So that additional $10-$15 can't be avoid if you hydro'ed in a fire house, well unless you have your own compressor.

And I have no objection the "diving isn't inexpansive" statement. Just in SF Bay area, doing hydro in fire house, then visual in LDS isn't necessary cheaper than just going by LDS.

Yep, i know it isnt cheap diving around here. Aquatic discovery is the cheapest in the area but quotes a one month turn around time. They do visuals for only $7 though and done within a few days including a fill. Next up is blue water aquatics at 45 for hydro,vip,and fill with a turn around of a week or two. They use the palo alto company quoted earlier in this thread. What I'm looking for is somewhere you could get a hydro for 15-20 with a 48hr turnaround and then go get a sticker and fill for a total around 25-30 and one week. Might just be dreaming though.

I can turn a hydro and a VIP in 2 days if I bypass the LDS for the hydro. The reason you get quoted a month is the wait until they have enough tanks and then have someone run them over and pick them up when they are done. Skip the LDS and it's faster.

Yep, i know it isnt cheap diving around here. Aquatic discovery is the cheapest in the area but quotes a one month turn around time. They do visuals for only $7 though and done within a few days including a fill. Next up is blue water aquatics at 45 for hydro,vip,and fill with a turn around of a week or two. They use the palo alto company quoted earlier in this thread. What I'm looking for is somewhere you could get a hydro for 15-20 with a 48hr turnaround and then go get a sticker and fill for a total around 25-30 and one week. Might just be dreaming though.

As in all things, good, fast, or cheap. Pick any 2.

you can buy stickers from the internet shops for less than a buck or print your own , its not regulated acme hydros in oakland and on alum. you get the ve stamp for less than $20 steel even less

As in all things, good, fast, or cheap. Pick any 2.

For AL80's, I can get all three. I save $12 by bypassing the LDS and get them faster. For steel tanks where you want a plus rating you have to pay more and wait much longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom