Nonprofit GUE has been working to improve the scuba industry for 20 years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and the only one to introduce helium breathing mixes to recreational divers

RAID Deep Speciality with Trimix. UTD Rec 3, though that also came from the GUE course, they aren't the only ones...

We were one of the first in the industry to introduce Nitrox to recreational divers,

What is probably meant by this is nitrox is included as a mandatory part of open water training. But yea, the way it's worded is pretty sales pitchy. :rofl3:

I'm an unabashed GUE fan and I do believe that they've done a lot for our industry. Sure, there's a lot of resentment from the DIR roots, but can't you guys get past that?

• Their Fundy classes are legendary. I've never taken one, but it's been suggested that my Trim, Buoyancy and Propulsion class is simply a friendlier version of that. I have no idea how close we are since I concentrate more on the fun, but I am always flattered by the comparison.
  • "No deep air" has been their mantra since their inception. While the other agencies may have had helium before the creation of GUE, they've done a piss poor job of pushing it's recreational use like GUE has.
  • They do have the best fitness requirements in the industry. I have actually met them in the past, though I couldn't currently pass them (broken leg and out of shape). I don't agree with their philosophy, but I do admire their stance against smoking. It amazes me that it's still a problem among today's diver and worse, their instructors. I've never smoked, so I can't relate to being caught up in it. I do pity the addicts.

No, it's not for everyone; but what agency is? Rather than tear them down why not celebrate with them? Dive and let dive. Teach and let teach. No, I'm not a DIR diver, though I've been mistaken for one. Neither am I associated with GUE, but they have accomplished some amazing dives. I am a fan, a big fan. I see them as an industry leader and appreciate how they pioneered neutral buoyancy while most other classes were still kneeling. Great job GUE and I look forward to seeing more of what you're doing here on ScubaBoard.

There’s a LOT of bad blood still out there with the old guard/GUE folks. They may have done some good things but the absolute hatred spread by some of their folks in the past is hard to overcome.

I ended up on a “GUE” charter once by accident, it was supposed to be a fund raiser (good cause) but I was the only non-GUE diver on board. They literally wouldn’t even speak to me, let alone dive with me once they condemned me to “stroke” status. Some of those folks are still active in the dive world today. (And still won’t speak to me)

There were serious threats made online from GUE instructors. JJ was made aware of them (by me and others) and never acknowledged a single one.

It’s hard to acknowledge any good that GUE has done when they fail to deal with the absolute poison their former instructors have spread.

GUE is very special, imo. I'm glad to be a part of them. Most people who dive with GUE people nowadays have nothing but positive things to say and I firmly believe the organization is doing fantastic things in diving. Let the past go (GI3 wasn't even GUE, btw) and sign up for a class.

TC:
I ended up on a “GUE” charter once by accident, it was supposed to be a fund raiser (good cause) but I was the only non-GUE diver on board.
I had the exact opposite experience and was even included on an early GUE promotional film. They saw me dive and assumed I was one of them. Go figure. GUE is not DIR. The creation of GUE was a distinct departure from the poison of DIR. However, I don't judge an agency, be it PADI, NAUI, NASE or GUE by a few loutish individuals. They all have them. GUE has no corner on the fidiot market.

Here's the video. I'm in at about 7:27. It was taken after a dive and they took me for being GUE because of the way I dove on the Speigel Grove. I guess that makes me GUE's Strokes-person :D :D :D

(Off topic)
Folks, in case it escaped your attention, you have the owner of Scubaboard and an advisor on Scubaboard expressing completely different opinions in a civil manner and neither of us has a problem with it. THIS is how Scubaboard should operate every single day. Be civil, express your opinion, explain the foundation for your opinion.

No, it's not for everyone; but what agency is? Rather than tear them down why not celebrate with them? Dive and let dive. Teach and let teach.

You at least admit that. I’ve been put through the ringer for simply saying Fundies is not a good fit for me. You’d have thought I committed human sacrifice.

You at least admit that.
Admit it? I preach that.

I feel pretty strongly that I won't unduly criticize an agency I'm not a part of. I'll gladly complain about my agencies, should I feel the need to, or I'll leave them if I've completely lost respect for them. I've been invited to take a fundies class or three. Mostly, I couldn't afford them and I'm pretty happy with my current skill set. Whatever the reason there's no need to dive like everyone else. As long as you're not stirring up the bottom or putting yourself in danger, what's the problem? I know I'm a trim/neutral buoyancy snob, but I don't require others to follow suit. Glad to help you get there, if that's what you want, but I'm not going to talk behind your back about it either. Heck no, I'll post it right here on SB! :D :D :D

But, back to the OP, it's my opinion that GUE and to a lesser extent, DIR, has heightened our awareness of trim and buoyancy. For that, I applaud them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom