NorCal Sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plummet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone dive sidemount around here? If so, what's your setup like? Or has anyone tried it here and not liked it (if so why)?

Does anyone dive sidemount around here? If so, what's your setup like? Or has anyone tried it here and not liked it (if so why)?
I trained a couple of guys in Monterey a few years ago, not sure if they are still diving SM or not.
Both their setups were Hollis SMS100 and LP95's. At the time they were primarily going to do shore dives and occasionally off a private boat. I know one later sold his 100 and purchased a SMS75.

I know there's lots in SoCal.....not sure about the north.

Just started diving sidemount a few months ago. I went with an xDeep Tec rig using AL80s, with plans to upgrade to 100s next year. So far so good with no complaints.

You won't see many SM divers at the Breakwater, but they are out there. Quite a few people in the Monterey/Carmel area dive sidemount; however, most use it for a specific purpose. One guy that I spoke with dives SM exclusively due to a spinal injury -- SM distributes the weight in a way that doesn't aggravate his condition. Another couple photographers that I interviewed dive SM for the buoyancy characteristics and for safety when soloing. Several more people I know of dive SM for specific applications, but they simply aren't present along the north coast (i.e., wreck diving or caving).

Personally, I turned to SM because it allows me to stage dives. I've got a lot of gear to move through the surf and SM allows me to do that safely and easily, even in poor conditions.

Back
Top Bottom