Norfolk Divers / VA Beach Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering a job there and wanted to know what the diving scene is in your area? I see Divers Unlimited in Norfolk and LDC in VA Beach. I am assuming most of your diving still happens in NC. Is it because home waters are boring or is it because there is no charter to take you out?

Not much in the way of charter operators here - one 6 pack out of LDC. Conditions are generally poor vis (20-30ft offshore) and colder bottom temps (50f up to 60f as the summer progresses). There are some fun wrecks, and good fish and lobster foraging. Lots of folks make the drive to Hatteras (3hrs) or Morehead City (4hrs) for better vis (100ft on many days), temps (70-80f top to bottom), and plenty more charter operators, as well as the concentration of sea life on the wrecks.

It just depends on what you like to dive. Yes, the diving is cold and fairly dark, but some folks really like that kind of wreck diving. You are 3-4 hours from warmer/clearer diving in North Carolina as well. Also, there is another shop in Virginia Beach, Dive Services Inc., that can provide anything you need from basic service all the way to the most sophisticated trimix fills.

Back
Top Bottom