Norfolk or Hawaii for Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sir Captain

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm considering on working toward Divemaster, but to get there I need to get Rescue certified first. Because of the sometimes rather difficult diving conditions that Monterey, CA can provide, I truly believe I got one of the best OW/AOW training available.

Right now I'm living in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area and should have the opportunity to take rescue before I get stationed in Hawaii, but could just wait to get to HI. I'm curious on whether you would take Rescue in VA or HI. Stated differently, which location would provide me with better training and why? (Naturally, price may be a factor, but no need to mention that here, I can do that research.). Additionally, if you have any shop/instructor recommendations, I'm all ears.

A little extra info to consider: I will be in HI for three yrs, but expect to ultimately end up back on the east coast in VA or NC.

Please feel free to move this to a different forum if you feel this doesn't belong here

Thanks,

Phil

I don't think it would matter were you took your rescue class, rescue is more scenarios than actual diving. The instructor is more important and if you are going to be in HI for three years and that is were you will complete your DM it may be better to wait and get hooked up with a good instructor in HI. Check in on the Hawaii section of this forum and I'm sure somebody there can hook you up.

The best most comprehensive Rescue Class is conducted here in SoCal by the USC/LA County Hyperbaric Chamber:

USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber

There are a few guys in the Norfolk area that teach a worthy rescue course. Some that I see are less than stellar though. Rawlings isn't really getting started until may, but there are other options. Personally I would do a course whenever it will fit your schedule, and the cold water at Rawlings is basically the Pacific Ocean without waves or salt. Location isn't going to be as important to you as quality and schedule.

I was rescue certified in Virginia Beach during the month of February and diving was COLD! LOL..... I live in Hawaii now and dive with Kaimana Divers. The water is warm and I believe it will be more enjoyable experience not having to fight all the neoprene. Hook up with Gabe (scottitheduck) at Kaimana Divers and he will treat you right.

Pick the one with the worst diving and conditions,then the scenarios will be easier in the nice conditions . Just my thought

Cheers

I did my Rescue course in Dubai...where it was warm water. Knowing what I know now and the climate I will most likely dive in "long-term", I wish I would have chosen a training center in a cooler climate and used exposure suits.

Yesterday I was practicing the Unresponsive Diver on the Surface (Rescue Skill #7) in an exposure suit and it was much different than just wearing a rash guard. IMO, warmer water is easier to perform the skills, where as cooler waters challenge you more.

Good luck with your course,

~Oldbear~

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 09:22 AM ----------

The best most comprehensive Rescue Class is conducted here in SoCal by the USC/LA County Hyperbaric Chamber:

USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber

Wow...what a great progam. I wish I had the time and funding that I had two years ago...I would be all over these courses.
:D

Back
Top Bottom