Norfolk/VA Beach favorite dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mybrainhurtz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be visiting family in Norfolk at the beginning of July and since I will have a dive buddy along, I want to check out what diving the area has to offer.

I see that Divers Unlimited starts their local charters in July and was looking for some input on what sites you guys like best and why.

Are there any other unique dive sites within a reasonable drive from Norfolk? I've heard that the diving out of Moorehead City is good, but that's a bit farther than I'd like to travel.

Thanks!

While their diving schedule is not up for 2012, Lynnhaven Dive Center also runs trips that would be of interest. Keep your eye on: Boat Schedule | LDC

The best sites are accessed by dive boats out of Hatteras or Moorehead City (south - both in NC) and Ocean City MD (north). OC is a little closer, but you can expect a 3+ hour drive for either NC or MD.

Most of our wrecks off of VB have been down for a long time, and time has taken its toll. The Morgan is still a good dive, but like most around here will take several hours on the boat to get to it. The dive operators have pretty good descriptions of the wrecks they visit, so your best bet would be to see which trips are running the same time you will be in town and sign up for the one that looks best. All are OW or AOW, so you shouldn't have any problems. Shops, like LDC, can also rent you any gear you may need or fill your tanks, should you need fills.

I'm sure others from this area will chime in on your post. You've got plenty of time for the schedules to get fixed and to get on the dive you want.

Thanks for the info Bill. I'm also not opposed to diving inland if there are any notable sites. I've got more freshwater inland dives under my belt than anything else :)

The only inland dive sites are quarry's, off shore is much better, by the time you drive out there, 2+ hours each way, pay to get in $25 last year, you can be on a boat.
VB has some good sites, Morgan of course, but the Kurn, Powell , & Luckenbach all are worth the trip.
Try Dive Quarters also Dive Quarters , nothing against LDC their boat is very nice.
I will be in Cape Hatteras pretty close to every weekend with JT Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site
This is worth the 3 hour ride, plus you get to stay on the boat for free the night before you dive, AC, Flat screen TV, free WiFi at the dock.
Most of his weekends are booked, but you can get in touch with his charters to see if they have any space or do a week day trip.
Proteus 125fsw, Tarpon 140fsw, Dixie Arrow 90fsw, British Splendour 110fsw are all great sites in blue water 75+degrees diving in a 3mm.

Here are links to some videos I shot both off of VA Beach and Morehead City. Locally, the Miss Lindsey lots of dives to the "Tower/Tug", it is their inshore beginners dive with a short boat ride. Conditions in the video are pretty typical of what you can expect here off of VA Beach. Sometimes it can be much better, sometimes worse. The second video is of the Spar out of Morehead City, about a 4 hour drive away. As you can see, very different. RAD is right in that just a few hours south you can put yourself in a whole different water mass (Courtesy of the Gulf Stream). Some of the same wrecks are also accessed out of Hatteras, which is a shorter drive at 2.5 hours. Still, I sometimes like to just jump on the local boat for a day trip if I get the chance, so don't write off VA Beach diving completely especially if you hit the weather right in July.[video=youtube;wn9R79SuR90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wn9R79SuR90[/video]
[video]vimeo.com/14935816[/video]schedules[/VIDEO]

Just following up on this since LDC has their boat schedule up.

I'm not sure when exactly you'll be in the neighborhood, but the Morgan, Brass Spike, and Gulf Hustler are going to be the best dives we see in July out of LDC (in my opinion).

Dives like the Tiger, Santore, Tug and Tower are decent if you haven't done them. They are fairly shallow dives, visibility usually isn't much beyond 20 feet on a great day. Pretty good if you want to do some spearfishing or lobstering. Not much in the way of stucture, mostly debris fields for the Tiger and Santore. The tower is the Chesapeake light tower. Underwater it looks like 4 giant pylons extending down from each corner of the light tower with braces between the pylons. It attract some marine life, it's hit or miss, but in general it's a nice relaxing, get under the water, dive.

I haven't done the LC or EB Barges that I'm aware of, though I expect they are decent spearfishing spots?

3rd Island is a good dive to spearfish.

Captains Choice is hit or miss. I only say that because if you pick a dive to the Tiger the week before, and then you get in on a captains choice and they decide to go to the Tiger, well, I kind of consider that a miss. :D

The Dives are 2 Tank Dives, there is no longer a compressor on-board so you will need 2 full tanks. The shop of course has tanks you can rent and they do fills at the shop including mixed gasses. Outside of tanks you can rent anything else you need there except personal gear like masks, fins, wetsuits, booties. They rent out Scubapro gear.

Other than that, there are other dive shops and boats in the area that will be going out, but logistically you may find LDC to be the easiest to deal with. Just as an example, if you do any spearfishing, you don't need a personal license when diving off the Miss Lyndsey out of LDC. Some other boats in the area do not have fishing licenses so if you want to spearfish, you will need your own license. Little things like that you may encounter. LDC pretty much has all the little stuff taken care of.

Oh, I know you mentioned inland dives. If you are going to be in the actual City of Norfolk or Virginia Beach then you might as well hop on a boat. The quarries are all quite a bit of a drive, and there is nothing really worth seeing. If you are up for that kind of drive, why not extend it a bit and really get some great dives in down in Moorehead City? It would be a good option if you were closer to the quarries, but, not much reason to leave the ocean to go to the quarries unless you aren't much for boats. :D

Back
Top Bottom