Norfork Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveBF

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,
My family and I spent a wonderful Labor Day weekend last summer on Norfork lake with the great folks at Jordan Marina. The Viz was pretty good below the thermocline as I recall, however I have heard it's great in the spring and early summer.... Family is thinking about spending Memorial day weekend down there this year... are any of you familiar with the dive conditions during that time of the year?

Cheers!
Steve

yep this is a good time to see norfork the viz will be very good during this time of the year around 15-20.
The Jordan area near the dam is always a good time to dive till summer hits, thats when the viz drops off and all the traffic opens up on the lake.

Also some of the spearfishing opens up during this time.

Thought so... making reservations this week!

We were down there last August and had a great time even though the dive conditions were not great - Ambient temps in upper 90's, water temps very warm and dove in swimsuits. Below T-cline it was 0 viz, but had a great time diving shallow.

Denise at Jordans Marina told us the best time to dive Norfork is in the spring for viz. We are heading back down the last week of April and spending a week. Water might be a little chilly, but hoping for some great viz.

Snagel

I have been to Mtn Home this last week for busness and went by the lake to see what conditions were like..I should have 20 dives by now freakin work..but anyway the lake is well over 20 ft low.

The viz looks really good. the corp is working on the dam and they have a rather large platform with a crane on the lake, its kool to see and watch!

BUt now would be a great time and hit those deep spots that you may not want to see during normal conditions if you dont like black water.

But if you guys would like to hit the lake before it really gets to bad for the summer I have a boat and have other boats that are handy if you guys would like.

I have been to Mtn Home this last week for busness and went by the lake to see what conditions were like..I should have 20 dives by now freakin work..but anyway the lake is well over 20 ft low.

The viz looks really good. the corp is working on the dam and they have a rather large platform with a crane on the lake, its kool to see and watch!

BUt now would be a great time and hit those deep spots that you may not want to see during normal conditions if you dont like black water.

But if you guys would like to hit the lake before it really gets to bad for the summer I have a boat and have other boats that are handy if you guys would like.

Avon,
I'm about 90% sure my whole family will be down there on Memorial day weekend... My daughter and I would love to dive with you if you are going to be out that way... we usually rent the big DivePro boat so there's plenty of room.

If you think you might head down sooner than that let me know... depending on the weekend I can probably go.

Cheers!
Steve

We were down there last August and had a great time even though the dive conditions were not great - Ambient temps in upper 90's, water temps very warm and dove in swimsuits. Below T-cline it was 0 viz, but had a great time diving shallow.

Denise at Jordans Marina told us the best time to dive Norfork is in the spring for viz. We are heading back down the last week of April and spending a week. Water might be a little chilly, but hoping for some great viz.

Snagel

Snagle,
Be sure to give us a report when you get back... I'd love to hear how it was.

Cheers!
Steve

You betcha....I typically write an overview report for the forums and a longer more detailed one at our website www.midwestmuckdiving.com

If you look through the blogs you can see the report from Norfork back in August.

Can't wait to get back down there. We are towing our boat down this year. Last year we rented a boat from Denise.

Snagel

Yep Memorial day weekend is a big one for me I'll be spearfishing. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom