Nortes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bring on the nice weather. See you on Saturday Christi!

Bring on the nice weather. See you on Saturday Christi!

Speaking of Saturday, here is windguru's weekend forecast. Looks like pretty high winds out of the NW - N (295-350 degrees) with Sunday being a little worse than Saturday.

I arrive Saturday afternoon, and plan to start blowing bubbles on Sunday. Should I be concerned about Sunday, or is it too early to tell?
WG.PNG

This is Monday. Sunday is a coin toss from here.

It is wintertime...

When we got here Saturday it looked like Thursday might be a blowout. wunderground.com looks like it has changed the forecast for Thursday. Maybe not a blowout after all. I would love to get 5 days of diving in but whatever. Went to the otherside today after diving. It is a bit wild over there. The beer is cold though and it was fun.

When we got here Saturday it looked like Thursday might be a blowout. wunderground.com looks like it has changed the forecast for Thursday. Maybe not a blowout after all. I would love to get 5 days of diving in but whatever. Went to the otherside today after diving. It is a bit wild over there. The beer is cold though and it was fun.

Yep - on Saturday (past) it looked like Thursday and Friday may be blow outs according to buoyweather - but now that has all shifted back a couple of days. Looks like we are good through Friday - but Saturday and Sunday in danger now.

As I've said - weather underground is not a great source for the wind reports - buoyweather is what most of us operators use to watch the wind (have to buy membership to see more than 2 days forecast) or Windguru is a good second alternative.

And again, wind does not equate to "norte" - we always have wind coming in from one direction or another with the predominant winds being from the East - hence the other side of the island often referred to as the "Wild Side." A "norte" is with NORTH winds - West, NW and North winds are the ones we don't want to see - those are the ort closing winds! On very rare occasions, the port can be closed from strong SW winds - but that is rare.

MMM - the winds yesterday were not north winds - they were from the South.

Not sure if the port is officially closed tomorrow, but Aldora is diving the east side. I guesss they have been for the past couple of days, but I just got here this afternoon.

Humongous line in customs BTW.

no boats that we could see since arriving
Our room is right on the beach and the wind is howling and looks to continue through tomorrow according to wind guru
Maybe get in the water by Monday

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

no boats that we could see since arriving
Our room is right on the beach and the wind is howling and looks to continue through tomorrow according to wind guru
Maybe get in the water by Monday

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Nope - don't count on diving tomorrow unless you're set up with Aldora on the East side.

dflaher:
Humongous line in customs BTW.

The airport was a ZOO with 19 flights arriving today! I had 4 of my long time girlfriends arrive today on 3 separate flights - due to several flights arriving at once and other delays - I ended up making 2 airport runs and standing in the airport waiting for several hours today! It was all worth it though once my friends were here - priceless!!!

I am secretly glad they don't get to dive tomorrow so I can spend my day off with them - I am thinking tomorrow will be a great day for the other side!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom