North Carolina Shark Tooth Fossil Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No need to get snipy about it. Jesus it was just a question. The question was about visibility and safety issues. Don't be an @#SS

My post wasn't meant to be snippy, sorry if you felt it was. :)

Lilla:
Wow - I'm sorry, but I don't see anything snipy about SparticleBrane's reply. Was it the "Who said the waters were murky off the coast?" It's a fair question - as I understand it, there's a difference between looking for teeth in a river as opposed to offshore. He followed it up by providing some useful information. I don't see anything that justifies calling him unpleasant names.
Bingo -- I was actually asking where someone said the waters off the coast were murky (because I hadn't seen it). You read my post correctly.

That's the problem with internet message boards -- no voice inflection.

I was reading the forums this morning looking for new blackwater locations to dive this summer, and ran across some undeserved bashing! I have been out with Capt Tom several times. I find his operation efficient, professional and he has a very fast boat. His concern for safety is paramount. He profiles the divers ability and adjusts his plans as needed.He requires all divers to tie a wreck reel into the anchor line when they get to the bottom. I don't think he loses to many divers using this technique and has little use for a tag line since everyone is coming the anchor lines.I have been on many boats that don't throw out a tag line until one is needed. Should he furnish pony tanks to everyone? Or does the diver have any responsibility for their own safety and safety equipment? I think each diver should be 100% self sufficient especially at depths 100' plus. If the group is an hour late the group set the tone for the trip and the group should feel lucky they even got to go out. I don't work for Capt Tom and he most likely doesn't he even remember me. He did try and sell me a camera.

Capt Tom knows where the teeth are!! My son Steven & myself pulled up 78 teeth in 2 dives our last trip with him. Steven is bugging me to go back, he says a bunch of teeth in a short period with GREAT viz vs many hours, a few teeth and 0 viz.

Oh yea I have a spot in Beaufort S.C. that I pull up a 6" tooth almost every dive. Let me give you the GPS numbers to the sight.
NOT

Spearit runs a strong operation, if you want Meg teeth and you have decent skills this is the place to go!!

Spearit is fine by me. I have gone with captain Tom several times and been pleased with the results. If you go you may have better luck if you have your own scooter to blow the sand away. I came up with more teeth than the others divers combined. Most of my diving around here I do in the Cooper off my boat the "Beast" (no it is not a charter) I have found some very interesting things in the Cooper but you have to know where to go (and what you are doing) if you are not going with a charter.

tfsails,

I just came back from a trip on the SPEARIT, you have to go out with the mindset and experience for this type of dive. And yes, it is pretty much solo diving, and you must know that going in, be a competent diver and not 'dependent' on others

Sometimes divers just 'putz' too much and need to know to get in the water! I've done 2 charters with Capt Tom and Allen, I find them very helpful and friendly and dont' feel 'rushed'. In fact, I wouldn't mind them pushing more, then we could get back sooner!

Hunting for fossils is NOT for new divers! It is pretty much solo diving and that is why you take a reel, and redundant air supply. 1st time I went vis was great, this time it was not, you play with the weather/vis/# and quality of teeth on these dives..... much as you play with the weather and vis on any NC dives (wrecks in particular)

Currents - you have noted in your profile 100 -199 dives. Perhaps all in warm blue waters?

If you go by the crews directions, even a strong current shouldn't bother you on these dives.
Anchor line - CHECK
Reel to tie off to anchor line - CHECK
hang line - CHECK
line from anchor to back of boat...ladder - CHECK

I am all for safety, and if this type of diving is not for one, then by all means don't go again, but with all the charters SPEARIT does, and as quick as they fill up,, I don't think many others knock it!

PS - Thanks Capt Tom and Allen!! I'll be back soon

SDiver02,
I see you are in Richmond. Found any spots to dive for Megs in VA?

cant we all just get along. and enjoy diveing and leave the bs to the goverment. :D

Now what's this about leaving the bs to the government? I resent that remark as I sit at my govt accounting desk!!

Thanks for dives this weekend:D I'm gonna have to get one of those scooters for next time....

Renee

just come back in was a treat having such a soild diver, we had a 15year old little lady a she also had no promble with capt. toms set up.

Spearit charters Home has the best reputation in the region for the quality and variety of their tooth sites. They have sites that no one else visits. If you're serious about tooth hunting, or you are looking for a small boat (6-pack) charter, spearit is the way to go. The one downside is that they are very popular and summer days get booked well in advance.

If you want to book just a spot or two on a bigger boat, Aquatic Safaris is a good choice.

Rich

We went with Tom Collins 2 years ago. Tom is the worst boat captain I could imagine going out with. He was constantly abusive, stubborn, argumentive, and a very unsafe operator. He took 6 divers out looking for teeth. He had no divemaster to assist if it were ever needed. One of our divers missed the anchor line and started drifting off in the current. His response, instead of immediately throwing a rope, was to yell and scream and get PO'd. He finally threw the diver a rope after the diver was exhausted. The 120 PST tanks he had were rusty with no VIP or nitrox labels. He had no analyzer and would not let us analyze the mix. The list goes on... We were totally amazed at this jerk. In hindsight, we should have thumbed the whole trip.

(let the heated discussion begin...)

I would go with Spearit Capt. Tom Collins, Always ind teeth and whale bones. Great Capt abd Crew. Leaves out of TopSail Beach. Boat docks next to he hotel. Hotel is not fancy (fisherman hotel) Good Resturant next to hotel and boat dock
Great Experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom