North Sulawesi land excursions? (Manado/Bangka)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MykaDives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are a group of females headed to Manado and Bangka in a couple weeks. We are avid divers, but would also like to explore on land a bit. We're not attracted to typical "touristy" things (too many people!). I've been trying to find things to do on land, but not coming up with much - everything just points to diving and snorkeling haha. Horseback riding would be great (if the horses are well kept), but I can't find anything on that. I guess there is a volcano to check out but I'm told "go before the Chinese tour buses arrive at 10 am" hahaha sounds pretty touristy! Maybe worth the trip?

We like going off the beaten path as long as it is safe. Nothing is guaranteed, but let's not take unnecessary risk.

Any ideas?

Tangkoko national park to trek and see Tarsiers and Yaki (crested black macaque) plus cuscus, hornbills, giant Tarantula etc - Rennies safety stop on FB for a great guide.

Tomohon the flower city in the Minehassan highlands (take a light jumper it's often quite cold up there ) is interesting and a good look at local culture.

There are some waterfalls just out of manado - last time I tried to get there the road was "broken" you may have better luck.

I think you'll find most of the horses in Manado are used as a family's mode of transport more than tourists excursions but things may have changed.

Tangkoko national park to trek and see Tarsiers and Yaki (crested black macaque) plus cuscus, hornbills, giant Tarantula etc - Rennies safety stop on FB for a great guide.

Tomohon the flower city in the Minehassan highlands (take a light jumper it's often quite cold up there ) is interesting and a good look at local culture.

There are some waterfalls just out of manado - last time I tried to get there the road was "broken" you may have better luck.

I think you'll find most of the horses in Manado are used as a family's mode of transport more than tourists excursions but things may have changed.

Tangkoko is the far north east by Lembeh, correct? Our resort is about 1 hour south west of Manado airport. It looks like this is 2-3 hours away from our resort? That would be too far for a day trip I think, unless it's really awesome and worth the trip.

Maybe we can check out Lake Tondano and on the way stop in Tomohon, check out the Kali Waterfall by Tomohon, and Mount Empung or Mahawu?

It's absolutely possibly as a day trip. I've done it from Manado four times. You get back around 6pm/8pm depending on traffic - from Murex Mainland, Tasik Ria and Manado grand puri hotel twice. So I'd say...Tangkoko is the far west of the mainland. It is the only place in the world you are going to be able to see wild tarsiers and the critically endangered Yaki. It's not a petting zoo it's a very special place. But you will be trekking and will get a good nights sleep :)

It's absolutely possibly as a day trip. I've done it from Manado four times. You get back around 6pm/8pm depending on traffic - from Murex Mainland, Tasik Ria and Manado grand puri hotel twice. So I'd say...Tangkoko is the far west of the mainland. It is the only place in the world you are going to be able to see wild tarsiers and the critically endangered Yaki. It's not a petting zoo it's a very special place. But you will be trekking and will get a good nights sleep :)

The more I look into this the more it looks like a great idea! I notice the resort we're at charges USD$110 per person for this trip, but my research suggests it should cost around USD$35 including transportation. How do you usually book this trip? I can't find "Rennie's safety stop" on Facebook. Do you have a link?

I just have to say....you're going to love the roads of N Sulawesi...particularly the crest at Tangkoko. Never assume because some thing in Indo is X km away it will take roughly X hours - consider the trip part of the fun :)

@Benjamin Lloyd Thank you for the link! I wonder why it didn't show up in my FB search.

@Wingy I'm imagining the roads to be similar to some of the fun roads in Philippines.

I contact Rennie's Tangkoko Safety Stop and she says transportation, lunch, park fee, and guide all included for USD$85 pp. At least cheaper than the resort price. Does this sound fair? Seems high to me, but I also know us tourists have dollar signs on our foreheads. Haha!

I just have to say....you're going to love the roads of N Sulawesi...particularly the crest at Tangkoko. Never assume because some thing in Indo is X km away it will take roughly X hours - consider the trip part of the fun :)

I hike 4 km/h, so I might as well walk than drive if that’s the case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom