North Sulawesi Trip Planning – February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiggins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m planning a trip to North Sulawesi in February for around 8 days of diving. It’s a long trek from the upper Midwest US, so I’d like to make the most of the time I have there. I plan to dive Lembeh, Bangka and/or Bunaken. Although I’d like to see some of each location, I am concerned that trying to stay at all 3 might take a significant out of my possible dive time. I have decided against the Passport to Paradise package from Murex primarily because I will be traveling solo. For those that have visited the area, especially solo, I would appreciate your recommendations and trip advise. This is my first trip to Indonesia but I have made several trips to the Philippines and like a poster mentioned in a recent thread, an introduction to muck diving in Anilao led to my interest in Lembeh. I love seeing the smaller critters and corals. Bangka and/or Bunaken are add ons to see something different and break up the trip. I don't think I have the patience for 8 days of muck in Lembeh.

The best airfare and schedule from my location to Manado is via Tokyo and Jakarta. It looks like there are several early morning flights to Manado. This route takes about 36 hours which is about 6 hours less and half the price of going through Singapore. This will be roughly an 11-day trip, but I travel very light and plan to pack everything minus fins into a carry on and backpack that fits under the seat. I may need to check the roller bag for the final domestic leg if Indonesian airlines strictly enforce 7-10kg carry-on limits; not a big deal if it’s only the last flight. Does anyone have advice regarding connections from CGK-MDC? Batik air has an overnight flight that leaves 2 hours after I would arrive from Tokyo. Is 2 hours enough time to clear customs and change terminals at Jakarta? There is a Citilink flight 3 hours later, or I can stay the night near the airport and leave mid morning. Even though I can get solid sleep on a plane, I know fatigue is insidious and have no plans to attempt to dive on my arrival day.

I have read that February is not peak season for this area and several reviews have mentioned that some dive operators may be reluctant go beyond the closest few sites if there are only 1-2 divers on a boat. I’d like the flexibility of going to a variety of sites even if the resort isn’t busy without the threat of surprise private boat fees at the end. I am aware of the single supplement to the room rate, but have any solo travelers experienced surprise charges for diving? I value a 2:1 or maximum 3:1 diver to guide ratio and have a preference towards the Lembeh resorts advertising smaller groups and would like to know if others have been able to do 4 dives per day (2x AM, 1x PM, 1x night). I do plan to dive on nitrox. Does anyone know of resorts that might consider allowing a solo dive on the house reef?

Selecting Bangka, Bunaken, or both is a big variable at the moment. Knowing that a land transfer will take several hours and probably reduce dives by 2 on that day, I am hesitant to try to include overnight stays at 3 locations. How would you split the trip, and in what order would recommend staying? My current thoughts are 4 nights (14 dives) Bangka then 4-5 nights (14 dives) Lembeh. Is the diversity in sites and critters between Bangka and Bunaken worth splitting this to 2/3/3 nights at teach and loosing at least 2-3 dives over the trip? How would you recommend splitting up the trip?

Although many people I know from the midwest consider salt and pepper to be too spicy, I am not one of them. I love fiery pepper sauces and Asian cuisine. I don’t mind rice or noodles for breakfast, but I’m not much for seafood and prefer chicken, beef or pork. Are there any resorts to avoid that might only seafood based meals on the menu?

The tentative flight schedules and gas off time would allow for a late afternoon and the next morning to enjoy the topside. Does anyone recommend seeing anything if I have any energy left on the last day?

I did solo dives on Black Sands house reef. Can’t remember exactly which site it is but it is a regular stop for many resorts so worth diving multiple times. Of the three resorts I have dived was the only one where that was possible. NAD’s reef was closed when I was there and was not solo diving when I did Divers Lodge Lembeh so they might allow solo diving on their house reef.

No surprises as a single diver. Most resorts are set up to handle single divers.

I prefer to stay the night in Jakarta and fly the next day. Way too many things to go wrong on a long flight with multiple connections. Gives you some time to adjust your internal clock.

All three resorts had excellent food - Black Sands was perhaps the best but marginally so.

Have only done Lembeh - always as part of a trip to Raja orKomodo so no interest in Bangka or Bunakan

I did solo dives on Black Sands house reef. Can’t remember exactly which site it is but it is a regular stop for many resorts so worth diving multiple times. Of the three resorts I have dived was the only one where that was possible. NAD’s reef was closed when I was there and was not solo diving when I did Divers Lodge Lembeh so they might allow solo diving on their house reef.

No surprises as a single diver. Most resorts are set up to handle single divers.

I prefer to stay the night in Jakarta and fly the next day. Way too many things to go wrong on a long flight with multiple connections. Gives you some time to adjust your internal clock.

All three resorts had excellent food - Black Sands was perhaps the best but marginally so.

Have only done Lembeh - always as part of a trip to Raja orKomodo so no interest in Bangka or Bunakan

Thanks for the reply. All 3 of the places you named are on my list to consider in Lembeh. Is the area around the Jakarta airport safe or is it best to say in one of the terminal hotels? I work the overnight shift, so my body clock is already adjusted to an asian time zone. I agree about the flight connections and have had to reroute too many times, but changes and new tickets have always covered by trip insurance. Have your previous flights to Manado been pretty full?

Thanks for the reply. All 3 of the places you named are on my list to consider in Lembeh. Is the area around the Jakarta airport safe or is it best to say in one of the terminal hotels? I work the overnight shift, so my body clock is already adjusted to an asian time zone. I agree about the flight connections and have had to reroute too many times, but changes and new tickets have always covered by trip insurance. Have your previous flights to Manado been pretty full?

I've recently stayed at the capsule hotel in T3 at CGK. Here is the link to what I've wrote.

Singapore to Raja Ampat

Flights to Manado from Jakarta are usually fairly occupied. i would not say it's really full. There are quite a few daily flights.

Bunaken is not bad. If you like wall dives, then Bunaken is for you. Visibility is usually great (50-70 meters) and tons of fish + turtles. The walls are pretty well preserved.

I've been to N. Sulawesi several times and on my last trip a few years ago I tried the "Passport to Paradise"

My only complaint was that there were no DIN valves on the tanks at Murex in Manado (although no issues at Bangka or Lembeh Resort), and no dedicated camera room. Apart from that it was a brilliant trip.

I don't think I have the patience for 8 days of muck in Lembeh.

I could quite easily spend a month there, and I'd easily repeat the "Passport to Paradise" and stay longer.

I have always stayed at a hotel close by. However traffic in Jakarta can be ridiculously bad. If you will need to travel to a hotel or back to the airport during the day I would seriously consider staying in the airport hotel.

Flights to Monaco were always full. But there are a lot of them so you should be OK to get a ticket last minute.

I have done two solo trips to Black Sand in february and cannot recommend Lembeh and BSDR enough. You will love it there , the diving is fantastic and it’s perfect for solo travelers are everybody , including the charming owners eat together. For 11 days I would just go there , it’s likely to be wetter in Bunaked and Bangka then and Lembeh is so unique that you will regret going anywhere else. On both my February trips the weather was wonderful , some rain at night but warm sunny days.

Best fishes

We stayed at FM7 on our Jakarta layovers. Nice enough and pretty good food in 2 restaurants, also a big spa which IMO is a great way to kill a layover. I would stay there again unless I felt time was too short, then I would look at the airport place. They have free airport transfers and it's very close, but could still take an hour at the wrong time of day.

I really enjoyed Black Sands resort, only Lembeh Resort was finer.

I love Bangka but don't talk about it because it's already getting too popular.

Black Sands resort has quite the climb to and from the beach to resort, if that's an issue for you.

Hi!! I am sure you will enjoy your first trip to Indonesia.

Arriving to Jakarta and hopping to another flight might be exhausting after a long haul. Any airbnb near the airport will do as well if you dont want to stay at the airport. I personally have not been yet to Lembeh but I have dived in Bunaken. My first time I was surprised about the quality of the corals, the visibility and the biodiversity. Mostly all resorts in Bunaken offer the all in accomodation plus diving. 3 meals per day, room plus diving. It is not a bad option and only a short boat trip from Manado.

Enjoy your stay and if you happen to come to Komodo come and say hello!!

Buen Azul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom