Northern Channel Islands - Current Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sffrenchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello:

I am going on a trip to the Northern Channel Islands (Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz and Anacapa) on September 14-15. Any reports on recent conditions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Christophe

On my way back home from three dives yesterday at Annacapa.

Fair vis, surgey and a very warm 65F. Should have left my DS at home. Ended up leaving my hood and gloves on the boat. No temperature issues in hour-long dives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks. I think I will still bring my DS but with a lighter undergarment.

I was on the Spectre Saturday (9/8). The swells pretty much knocked out the backside of Anacapa for us and the wind was affecting the frontside. We headed West to Santa Cruz for 2 dives at Pirate's Anchorage. The vis was around 30 feet or so. Dive 3 was called off at Santa Cruz because of anchoring issues getting our nose into the wind. The Spectre was on the horn with the Peace and they told us to head down to Underwater Island on the backside of Anacapa for our final dives. The wind was ripping there and there was some current, but not enough to keep us out of the water. What epic conditions for that site! I've dove it probably 20-30 times and never seen vis like this there. We could see the top of the island from the deck of the boat and underwater it was easily 80+ feet of vis if not more. At the anchor you could easily look south around the corner where the vertical wall is and then look west towards where the front of the boat was. It was so clear it looked like there were too many divers in the water. Crazy. Water temps were from 64-67. I was dry, but went lighter on the undergarments.

greg

Did Santa Barbara 2 weeks ago - felt like I was diving in the Caribbean - high 60s, blue, blue water and incredible vis (can you say 80 to 100'?).

Dove Santa Cruz last weekend and while it was still great diving (is there ever BAD diving??), a lot of surge, heavy seas out, still good temps (mid 60s), but the vis had dropped severely - 15 to 20' and the water was a tad bit green.

Heading out next week so hoping it gets a bit better.

Just came off the Peace yesterday as well at Santa Cruz. We couldn't make it to San Miguel because of the high wind, but diving was good. Warm as heck, mid to high 60s. Viz depending on the sites but typical SoCal 20-ft to the last dive which was 60-ft blue water.

Was on the Spectre Sunday (9/9), AWESOME!! We talked to some coming in Saturday night and the crew, all said it was a rough ride and big winds, crew said up to 25mph. Thepeople we talked too said current was strong at Anacapa Saturday, if yougrabbed the anchor line you were a flag. No issues like that Sunday, ride overwas relatively calm and uneventful. Dove four at Anacapa, three on the frontside, each time better than the last, then one on the backside. The weather andwind picked up a bit in the afternoon and on the backside there was a goodsurface current. Like you step off the boat and by the time you pop up you arepassing the platform. That was at Underwater Island. Once under there though,hardly a current at all. Very light current anywhere on the front side, surgewas no issue either. Vis was 35-50+ on the front side, 35ish on the backside. Our dives were at Cathedral Cove, Goldfish Bowl,Rat Rock, then Underwater Island.

Great day!First time on this boat, we'll be back!!! The crew was awesome too and great food!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom