Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The outpouring of love for Cameron is amazing. I became a better moderator, I hope, because of him. His empathy for others is heartfelt and complete.

Post your remembrances, love, or anything positive you feel about Cameron here.

The search and rescue thread is here: Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

The A&I thread is here: Accident & Incident Discussion - nothernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

If you want to follow the thread, click on the Watch Thread link below the title on the right side of your screen. Please do not post a following post.

I met him originally as a fellow moderator & always appreciated his approach. He's level-headed & truly cares about the divers (& mods) here.

Late last year, he put up a post to his fellow mods asking for some suggestions re: a wonderful nonprofit scuba program he started for First Nation Cree youth called Kuuchiitaau. Many of the moderators decided that they wanted to do more for him & the program than just answer a few questions. I was one of them offering my help with marketing, writing content, & such. We had some initial online discussions & then earlier this month, we agreed that we'd more formally kick my part for this off once his family visits were over. So I just really started my friendship with him outside of Scubaboard.

But instead of seeing him reach out to discuss Kuuchiitaau further, I saw a post from the dive chair of my dive club for the GoFundMe to help #FindCameronDonaldson. I cannot tell you how stunned & absolutely gutted I was in that very moment.

Cameron/NorthernOne (or as I once joked to him, "NorthernNone" which is how I misread his user name for the longest time since it was written in lower case) is such a kind & caring guy. So centered. Helpful. Friendly. And inspiring.

Sending him, his family, & his friends my :heart: & strength.

It's enough to say that I never met the guy and yet I keep refreshing the SAR thread hoping for any news.
He was the one who always tried to turn a dumpster fire of a thread to something productive and I hope he is going to keep doing it.

I did not know Cameron personally, I never met him, and I only know of him from his posts here, but this has really been breaking my heart. It is so sad that he has gone missing, and I really think of his Mom who was with him. She must be completely devastated. I hope he is found and we ultimately know what happened to him. He sounds like a really awesome person.

I never met the guy and yet I keep refreshing the SAR thread hoping for any news.
Ditto.
I've read many of his posts and have had a few interactions with him here on SB. He has always come across as a true gent; wise and kind. I was actually surprised how young he is.
I felt compelled to donate to the cause and have also been very impressed with the outpouring of care and generosity by everyone. I just wish I could some help with the search.
My heart goes out to Cameron and his family & friends.

he contacted me to do his instructor program , he was north of me , we talked a lot about rebreathers after he built his o2 RB we became friends , a lot of back and forth technical discussions , I blasted him a couple of times with things he was doing , he was AWAYS gracious respectful (and I blasted him a few times )NEVER got mad and took my advice as it was given .....like him a lot ....he drove by my house every time he went home ....we always laughed at his close calls after how he wouldn't do that again ....but was not ashamed at telling of them even though he took a lot heat about it . I once asked him why would you open yourself up all the time for that . he gave the response I thought he would "if it will stop 1 death all the abuse is worth it " that was cam .

He is always a strong and stabilizing voice among the moderator team. He is also always quite supportive of people's efforts to be informative throughout the board.

Cameron is the best of us. As Jack Nicholson (almost) said, he makes me want to be a better man. His kindness, caring and love for those around him is breathtaking.

His openness and honesty about his diving, the things that went wrong and went right are also inspirational to many. He has touched and improved the lives of most everyone who has interacted with him, and that is the most that any of us can ever aspire to.

I've never met him personally, but we had great talks here on the board.

Back
Top Bottom