Norwegian diver dies on surface after beeing struck by a speedboat, Koh Tao, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jboneng

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not much info yet, A 22 year old Norwegian female dive student was struck by a speed boat at surface after ascending, during a organized trip at Koh Tao near Tao Thong, Thailand. And dies during transport to the hospital at Koh Samui.

Dagbladet (Google translated article
)

According to Bangkok post the boat was a modified trawler used as a commercial tour boat owned by Phura Villa.
She was a student at a local dive shop, the local police investigates the death, to see if the boat diver was carless and if the instructor used a DSMB.

Bangkok post article (in english)

Last edited:
Yeah. By putting the SMB on a WW2 contact mine:(. (would be quite dangerous to the divers too though)

No students - especially novice OWD's with clumsy buoyancy skills - should be brought to an area frequented by any kind of vessels. A DSMB would put the responsibility on the boaters, however choosing the site smarter would have saved the girl's life.

Diving frequently in Croatia I've seen enough cowboys on water that I dare to ascend above 5m only around solid rock or along the anchor line.
Crap. Sounds like a fatality that could easily have been prevented :(

My thoughts are with her family and friends.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom