Not a huge fan of my GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobtail squid is a nice photo as is the turtle. First pic of our nudi seems out of focus. I know sometimes getting a good focal point is not easy on some critters especially with that opaque white colour.

When shooting nudibranch, most look to focus on the rhinophores, in the 1st photo many would consider it has a nice bokeh effect, as the lens used has such a shallow dof, each to their own :wink:

When shooting nudibranch, most look to focus on the rhinophores, in the 1st photo many would consider it has a nice bokeh effect, as the lens used has such a shallow dof, each to their own :wink:

Yes. I like to get them head on or completely from the side shooting up from below if I can. I need to post edit my orf files as a bit over exposed on my first few days with too much light.

NUDI GREEN & ORANGE.jpg

NUDI ON CORAL.jpg

NUDI BODY SHOT.jpg

You improve over time lol. This hermit crab was so tiny it was hard to spot in the corals. Could never get a photo like this with my go pro. I also could not see it well as I had not done my eye surgery when these were taken so relied on the TG6 green focus square to take photos.

A VERY TINY HERMIT CRAB.jpg

They lost me at recommending the G9X, a touchscreen-driven camera with minimal physical controls, for underwater use. Also, no mention of the Nikon D500, which is just odd.
Their criteria are not the same as yours.

Their criteria are not the same as yours.

Clearly, but unless their sole criteria here was "a Canon compact costing $X or less", recommending a touchscreen based camera to underwater photographers is just bizarre. I mean, unless you're doing full auto point and click, how are you supposed to adjust aperture/shutter speed/ISO on that thing?

What they say is, "with proper initial settings you can control everything you need inside a housing as well without compromising on ease of use."

What they say is, "with proper initial settings you can control everything you need inside a housing as well without compromising on ease of use."
To me, this reads as "set everything prior to sealing the housing and pray that you guess correctly as to what you will actually need during the dive". I'm sure it's possible to use this camera underwater, but with so many alternatives that don't have this huge handicap, putting it into a top 3 is baffling.

The previous owner is including a CMC-2 and Nauticam Macro Port 45 with Focus/Zoom Knob which he used for macro with the Sony E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS 'kit' that came with the camera. I bought a body only, so I don't have this lens, although I can find a used one cheaply, it isn't great. I know I said I wasn't taking macro on this trip, but my only lens so far is a 12mm so I want at least 1 other lens above water. I am alone, so I don't want a lot of far away shots of myself taken by random locals who might steal cameras, or large lens that look expensive enough to be worth stealing, or to be mistaken as a reporter and not a tourist, so I don't need much more than 35mm and don't want anything crazy. I also have a really nice fish tank which should be good for practice before I go, but that also makes it worth having a serious macro setup for serious shots if I can get there with minimal cost.

Am I better off starting with the same Sony kit lens? Or should I get something like a 'Sony E 30mm f/3.5 Macro' and a Tamron 17-70mm f2.8 lens for out of water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom