Not a huge fan of my GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The criticism leveled at the Sony 16-50mm kit lens is that it is fairly soft wide-open, but this is largely irrelevant for underwater photography - I almost never shoot wider than f/8-f/9, and at this aperture, the 16-50mm sharpness is more than adequate. It is also extremely versatile - add a wet lens such as Nauticam WWL-C on a bayonet mount, and between your bare port, CMC-2 and WWL-C, you will be able to cover almost any subject that you meet on a dive, from wide reefscapes to inch-long nudibranchs. Did the kit that you got include a dome port? If yes, then consider getting a 10-18mm for wide-angle; if not, then you might as well skip it and just get the kit lens + WWL.

The criticism leveled at the Sony 16-50mm kit lens is that it is fairly soft wide-open, but this is largely irrelevant for underwater photography - I almost never shoot wider than f/8-f/9, and at this aperture, the 16-50mm sharpness is more than adequate. It is also extremely versatile - add a wet lens such as Nauticam WWL-C on a bayonet mount, and between your bare port, CMC-2 and WWL-C, you will be able to cover almost any subject that you meet on a dive, from wide reefscapes to inch-long nudibranchs. Did the kit that you got include a dome port? If yes, then consider getting a 10-18mm for wide-angle; if not, then you might as well skip it and just get the kit lens + WWL.

I have a dome and wide lens, I am asking about for macro and a WWL-C is out of budget anyway. If I were buying everything new, I could choose a WWL-C instead of a dome and wide lens. Buying used means I am starting with the choice made by the previous owner.

I eventually want something nicer above water, which means keeping the kit lens for underwater macro only. If the kit lens is truly the best underwater macro option for this camera, that makes sense. But if any lens that fits this setup does better macro I should just start there.

Just as an example, please find below some photos taken with a TG-5 and a single strobe.
I am pretty sure a TG-6 could do better (or a better photographer behind the camera :D ).

P8300054.jpg P8300025.jpg _6300251-Edit.jpg _6300238-Edit.jpg _6290050-Edit.jpg _6290078-Edit-2.jpg

I eventually want something nicer above water, which means keeping the kit lens for underwater macro only. If the kit lens is truly the best underwater macro option for this camera, that makes sense. But if any lens that fits this setup does better macro I should just start there.

In that case I would get the kit lens. You already have the port, the zoom gear and a good diopter; according to Nauticam's port chart, the CMC-2 will get you to 1:1.4 magnification, allowing you to fill the frame with a subject some 34mm wide. It won't give you supermacro (i.e. greater than 1:1 magnification that you need for subjects that are 2cm large or less), but for that you'll need the 90mm lens plus a strong diopter, and that will run close to $2k for everything. A Zeiss 50mm macro will give marginally better results, but I don't believe it will justify the extra cost, which would still be quite significant - that lens is not cheap, and while it fits the same port, it requires an extension ring.

I can't speak for above-water lenses as I hardly ever use my A6300 outside its housing.

I have a dome and wide lens, I am asking about for macro and a WWL-C is out of budget anyway. If I were buying everything new, I could choose a WWL-C instead of a dome and wide lens. Buying used means I am starting with the choice made by the previous owner.

Exactly which domes and ports did you get? That would help in suggesting a lens to add now. The 16-50 in a dome is probably OK just not super wide at 24mm equivalent and macro without a wet lens will fill the frame with something 120mm across, you said you have the CMC-2 as well this will give 0.7x magnification at a working distance of 70mm - with the macro port 40 (not the 45 you have) this would still work but give you slightly less magnification, All this data is in the port chart. I see you mentioned a 30mm macro - you probably don't want one of those as the working distance is so small you would probably get more magnification with the 16-50 and CMC-2.

This is the Nauticam port chart which is a useful reference for lenses that have been tested in this setup: N85 Sony E Mount 2021-02-22.pdf

I am starting with a ZEISS TOUIT 2.8/12 and 120mm dome. I know that doesn't give me the zoom I said I wanted, but I am okay with that. What I want most is the the coral/reefscape with schools of anthias everywhere, and this should be idea for that, as well as any wrecks we visit. I am only going to get a really fantastic shot of something like a longimus if it comes close to me anyway. This might be a fun lens to play with in Luxor, but I definitely want another option topside.

For Macro, I have a Port 45 with Focus/Zoom for the kit lens and a CMC2. I think my best option is the kit lens for topside and any macro I want to do on this trip, eventually upgraded to the Sony 90mm macro which seems to be the best possible macro option for this camera. The kit lens is about $100 used and for sale everywhere, and the 90nm is $700+ used and less available. Every other lens that's at least as good for Macro as the kit lens is just too close to that $700. If I start with the kit lens, I don't really need to decide on future upgrades until after my trip.

I am starting with a ZEISS TOUIT 2.8/12 and 120mm dome.

What's a 120mm dome? Nauticam has N120 ports (i.e. a 120mm wide port opening) but I'm not aware of any domes labeled as '120mm' in their product catalog. Their recommendation for the Zeiss 12mm f/2.8 lens is the 180mm glass dome #18809, with a 60mm extension.

The 12mm should be nice in the 180mm dome, you'll want to stop down to f8/11 range for nice corners most likely. At 18mm equivalent it's only just getting into what is regarded as wide in UW terms. If you really want the classic CFWA shots with anthias covering the reef you might want to look at the Tokina 10-17 longer term, it uses the relatively cheap 4.33"dome and will focus down to the dome surface, you do need a metabones adapter to use it as they don't make it in Sony mount.

That's what I meant

The 12mm f/2.8 with 180mm glass dome is a good wide-angle combination, yes. If you find the fixed focal length limiting, you can always sell the Zeiss lens and buy Sony 10-18mm for less money; it works with the same port and extension and would give you a fairly useful zoom range, although I sometimes wish it'd be something closer to 10-24mm or even 12-30mm.

Back
Top Bottom