Not allowed on a boat because of your dive agency card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most ops just want the AOW card. You could have tech 2 or cave 2 training but they still want the AOW card. I always get a good laugh out of it.

Hrrm, could be a problem. Have tech cave but not AOW... woops, oh well. If they have issues with that then I don't want to dive with them anyway

I actually had some issues with my YMCA card a long time ago (80s?). I was never prevented from diving, but it was questioned a few times.

My only problem with my Y cert was that mine was so tattered it was illegible. When I learned that the YMCA card is a cross over to the CMAS (they honored each others certs because of the training involved), I applied for the CMAS card, and carry them both when I travel.

I did some PADI training later, as my '70's Y training needed a bit of updating over the years, simply because the sport keeps evolving.

I was once refused service in Maui because of agency. Stopped into a shop near where we were staying to sign up for a boat out to Molokini the next day. The fellow said I needed an AOW certification. So I pulled out my YMCA Advanced Open Water card. He told me he couldn't accept it. So I then pulled out my NAUI Instructor card. He said he couldn't accept that one either. I asked him what he could accept, and he said it had to be a PADI card.

Sorry to say, I couldn't accommodate ... I don't own one ...

certcards.jpg

We walked across the street to another dive shop, who was happy to take us out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have had, mostly in the 80s when padi was going berserk, a few issues with my Y cards and my wife still only has Y cards. But I just pulled out another, really, these days, sometimes, many times, nobody even asks to see my cards. I don't show any professional level cards to go diving, just my NAUI AOW.

N

"YMCA" LOL!!!! Now your dating yourself there. I got mine there in 76.Very thorough class, MOre like boot camp. Sure was a far better class than the cert class my wife got decades later.
I lost my card a few years ago and called YMCA to get it replaced. They insisted they had never did SCUBA classes, ever... I had to laugh, as those folks had not even been born back then.
I still like to show off my card on trips. Single stage regs, no gauges, no BC's, huge masks,diamond black rubber suits with the all needed repair glue in tow.. talc powder so you could get the darned things on.. Made our own weights from old tire weights. Man that's bringing back some memories now.

I don't think I have shown a card other than "VISA" to go diving in over 10 years. I normally have a card stuck in my wallet somewhere if asked but no one usually asks to actually see the card.

Complete BS, however I am very sure this still happens in smaller remote resorts.

I have never come across an operator who refuses to bring you diving once you put cold hard cash on the table. You don't even need a c-card.........of course having your own gear helps......

Best regards,
SS

Most ops just want the AOW card. You could have tech 2 or cave 2 training but they still want the AOW card. I always get a good laugh out of it.

Never ceases to amaze me........ demanding an AOW card,... with the possibly of only 9 dives total & possibly never without an instructor......:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom