Not allowed on a boat because of your dive agency card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always been tempted to show my LA Co Underwater Unit OW card (1970) as proof of certification but have never done so and do not carry it with me in my dive log. I could always use my log for recent deep dives if that was needed. Someday I'll try it and report back to SB.

Perception is everything.

Good diving, Craig

If you flash this card, any many more like it, you can probably dive anywhere:

dollar-bill-front-and-back.jpg

I had to do a checkout dive off a boat in Thailand back in 2001 because the PADI instructor, a young guy from Los Angeles, didn't know what a Los Angeles County Underwater Unit c-card was. I told him PADI didn't exist when I started diving and where did he think the founders of PADI got THEIR training? After seeing me on the check out dive, everything was fine (I guess he had his eyes closed while observing me).

When I was certified in 1973 my instructor was affiliated with PADI and ACUC (a Canadian certification agency). He told us we needed the ACUC card since very few stores or charters had heard of PADI. Back then NAUI was "King of the Hill".

Funny how times have changed!

Bob (Toronto)

1989 YMCA Open Water card (not quite as fancy looking as NWGD's are)..... I gotta say I'd be pretty pi$$ed if someone felt it wasn't acceptable for the recreational diving I do..... (though I do have another agency AOW card, and I am curious if it meets their "standards" - PDIC).

This is pretty much the reason I dive off my own boat......

I was once refused service in Maui because of agency. Stopped into a shop near where we were staying to sign up for a boat out to Molokini the next day. The fellow said I needed an AOW certification. So I pulled out my YMCA Advanced Open Water card. He told me he couldn't accept it. So I then pulled out my NAUI Instructor card. He said he couldn't accept that one either. I asked him what he could accept, and he said it had to be a PADI card.

Sorry to say, I couldn't accommodate ... I don't own one ...

certcards.jpg

We walked across the street to another dive shop, who was happy to take us out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, I have had that happen three times, and oddly enough, once was on Maui.

Today, I figure if my instructor card is not good enough, then I need to go somewhere else...but when I was younger, I was much more compliant and would take that expensive, one hour PADI skill test to get a card..I have three of them....

Has not happened in a fair number of years...

Some years ago I had correspondence with the French about diving the Alabama and their CMAS requirements. That worked out through an international agreement as all the divers were NAUI and NOAA certified and well qualified. I was the sole CMAS 3* Instructor around at the time.
That said, if I went to a dive operation and they refused an LA County or YMCA certification I'd walk out based on their lack of appreciation for the history and quality of diving.
Mike

Hey Mike, off topic but on as well. Considering a trip down your way this summer. Hopefully bring 6-8 people mix of AOW thru Instructor (me). Best place to look for deals on housing and a boat. All will be ok with deeper stuff and I may want to go into a little deco if it's really cool site. All will have SEI AOW certs or better.

Back
Top Bottom