Not allowed on a boat because of your dive agency card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim as it gets closer to your time call me. I always recommend Olympus as they are family to me, but for a small group doing some of the more unusual sites Atlantis IV and Tortuga have good six packs.
I will crank up checkouts here beginning a week from tomorrow and running for two weeks. I dread chilly water!!
Mike

When i went for my AOW course, the shop questioned my cert from NAUI. It was resolved in short order, they looked me up online. It was the thought that my NAUI card was somehow less valid than a PADI card..

In the end i took the AOW course and now have a PADI card to go along with my NAUI card..

When I need a good laugh......I pull out a NAUI OW card from 1982 signed by Drew Richardson...before he went to PADI.

I have never even been asked to show my cert card on any boat dives or spring dives. They do ask for my husband's when he fills our tanks. Funny, Ala Blue Water always asks for our cert cards (as they should) and they know who we are.

Had it happen in 2000 in Thailand, shop run by Europeans in Pattaya told me no PADI card no diving. Russians down the street saw that I had gear and money, only question they had was how many dives I wanted to do.

Think they would take a 1977 YMCA CAVE DIVER card.
cavecard.JPG

Last edited:
Do you think I would have any problems with this?

FirstCertCard.jpg

I'm SSI certified and have dived several times with PADI groups and DMs.
However, in south Brazil, in Bombinhas (known as the diving capital of the Santa Catarina State), where there are several operators, a friend of mine was told to go to the PADI boat instead of the diving boat I've recommended that is from a SSI operator.

I think this may be very well localized and not widespread.

In 1996 (Dominican Republic) March 09 (Cozumel) I dove with PADI Dive shop using a NAUI Scuba diver card. In Oct 09 (Cuba), I dove with a SSI dive shop using PADI AOW card.

In Feb 10 (Bahamas) a group of us including a Spaniard dove with Blackbeard. While most of us seem to have PADI cert cards, he was CMAS qualified and still had no problem.

Before summer I should have a couple of TDI additions to my logbook. I should be pretty safe come summer time.

I asked him what he could accept, and he said it had to be a PADI card.

Sorry to say, I couldn't accommodate ... I don't own one ...

certcards.jpg

We walked across the street to another dive shop, who was happy to take us out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

...I was expecting Visa, MC or American Express

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom