Not dive related, but interesting none-the-less

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Mods, if you think this doesn't fit in this forum, please move it to the appropriate place.

It seems like another boater (in this case kayaker) was bitten by a barracuda in the boat. I´ve read about this happening a few times and I am always amazed how the media plays it up to look like the fish actually launched itself AT the boater, instead of it being the boater just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It will be interesting to see what kind of coverage this gets in the South Florida media.

Woman Bitten By Barracuda While Kayaking In Keys - cbs4.com

A woman was flown to Miami from the lower Keys over the weekend after she was bitten by a barracuda while kayaking off Big Pine Key.

The 45-year old woman and a man were kayaking Sunday evening when the fished jumped out of the water and bit her in the chest. When her companion called for help and told the emergency dispatcher that he couldn't get the two person kayak back to shore without causing her further injury.

A Coast Guard rescue crew contacted TowBoatU.S. which had a small boat that carried a paramedic into the shallow water to the kayak. The woman was then transferred to the boat and taken to a nearby marina.

The Coast Guard said she appeared to have suffered several broken ribs and a punctured lung.

Once on shore the woman was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital where she's listed as stable.

Last edited:
LIke you said, it's being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I remember a few years back some lady was killed I think it was when a spotted eagle ray leaped out of the water and struck her in the head while she was on a boat. At least I think that's how the story went.

JUst found the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23727914/

Hard to imagine what it was that scared that barracuda into jumping out of the water. She is probably dam lucky that whatever was after that barracuda didn't follow it into her kayak.

Hard to imagine what it was that scared that barracuda into jumping out of the water. She is probably dam lucky that whatever was after that barracuda didn't follow it into her kayak.

It is equally possible that the barracuda was chasing prey when it launched itself. I've seen that happen before, especially when there is any kind of wave action.

It is equally possible that the barracuda was chasing prey when it launched itself. I've seen that happen before, especially when there is any kind of wave action.

This is the likely scenario. Offshore fishermen are occasionally struck by "sky rocketing" cuda chasing the fish bait or lure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom