Not just for women - coffee snob alert!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This might sound like sacrilege, but have you tried any of the better instant coffees? Not the usual stuff off the supermarket shelves. Starbucks sells them in little single serve tubes if you like their stuff. There was a gentleman from France working with me that did not like the swill we brewed in the office, but was too polite to tell us. I caught him with a jar of instant from back home and it was excellent. Full disclosure, I don't personally drink much coffee anymore. Caffeine and me don't get along well unless I need to drive and I'm tired. Anyway, worth checking out, you may find one that you like and its easy to travel with.

My favorite coffee is Cubita, imported from Cuba to Canada, but prohibited from importing into USA. I have to stock up when we go to Canadian Tournaments.
It seems Cuban coffee should be easily available in Carribean?

Not exactly snobbish coffee, but I know of a couple places that have Canadians (the Turks & Caicos Explorer's captain JF is Canadian and Tom & Ginnie at the Bohio are also Canadian). I try whenever possible to show up with some Timmies. It is not snobbish, but it does bring them a taste of home.

When we travel we really miss good coffee. I buy green beans, roast and then grind my own. We really miss having a good cup of coffee when we travel. So I went looking for a way to bring my coffee and brew it. I found something called the Primula Brew Buddy on amazon (two for $12). It's basically a hard rubber/silicone ring with a mesh basket suspended beneath it. You put your grounds into it and put it on top of your cup, pour the water over the grounds, give the grounds a gentle stir and wait 4 minutes for a good cup of joe. The Brew Buddy collapses to pack into any tight spot - about the size of a CD case.. :java::)

I have this at work. I went from blah drip to something worth drinking. Works great camping too.

When using the brew buddy what kind of grind do you use? Coarse or fine?
I always bring my own coffee too, I refuse to drink Nescafe. Its disgusting!

Swiftcup makes a great instant coffee but its expensive. I find its worth it for easy good coffee on a trip!

When using the brew buddy what kind of grind do you use? Coarse or fine?

I always use the finest grind that I can get out of my grinder. You can use less coffee that way. I also grind a fresh batch just before I leave and package it in double ziplocks with the air squeezed out. It goes into the freezer as soon as I arrive.

When I'm on Bonaire I can have stroopwaffels with my coffee every morning.

I prefer espresso.

I try to remember to pack a small moka stove top coffe pot. I also have a small Hario portable grinder, but will buy local ground beans if available.

IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG

Back
Top Bottom