Not Knowing what I don't know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Fundies course was the best course I've ever taken. It's sort of interesting since that course will probably prepare you more for self-sufficiency than any other course you could take (short of some extraordinary instructor), yet it is the one where team diving is stressed the most.

Tom

The Fundies course was the best course I've ever taken. It's sort of interesting since that course will probably prepare you more for self-sufficiency than any other course you could take (short of some extraordinary instructor), yet it is the one where team diving is stressed the most.

Tom

I would agree with Fundies being a good course to prepare you for self sufficiency, but would suggest that any tech level course would provide the same preparation.

I would agree with Fundies being a good course to prepare you for self sufficiency, but would suggest that any tech level course would provide the same preparation.

Fundies isn't really a tech level course, but I do get your drift. I have seen tech instructors that WILL NOT provide the same experience.

PS, "I like turtles": my wife's doubles:

Not sure if the OP is still tracking this thread ... but if you are, I wrote this article for people like you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've seen that article before, reading it again I find it affirming. I AM ready to dive solo given the conditions set forth earlier at the beginning of the thread.

You will learn a whole lot more meaningful skills in the Into to Tech or like class than you will in a solo class. You might want to get with James at Sea the World (MI) as I know he is teaching a Intro Class at Gilboa in May. Classes and Events - Unified Team Diving

Just something to consider.

the caving cert. , and I've often thought of it... its in my 10-15 yr. plan... :)

I live in NW Ohio and its not practical to get that kind of training as yet...

locally I've found an SDI outlet that I'll be able to take the Solo course through (once I have the min. 100 dives)...

I've also not ruled out a DIR/GUE/Fundies type course ,but I always have higher priority things to do with that kinda money besides dive training...

It'll get sorted out... this board has been a boon and i'll be sure to make no quick/unconsidered moves.

I have UDT's Intro & Tech DvD's , I Would be interested and will check that out, thanks.

Ok, did the initial check... looks like its at least $600 (and often much more?) AND require a set of doubles... which I dont have... (nor do I think I Need at this stage of the game).

Still... maybe 3-5 yrs from now...

I have UDT's Intro & Tech DvD's , I Would be interested and will check that out, thanks.

Ok, did the initial check... looks like its at least $600 (and often much more?) AND require a set of doubles... which I dont have... (nor do I think I Need at this stage of the game).

Still... maybe 3-5 yrs from now...

Fundies for me was $550 plus admission/hotel. You can do it in Singles.

Hellohello... one of the things often mentioned in response to querries on solo diving (besides "your going to die" and "bad things will happen") is "You dont know what you dont know"...

Ok, thats reasonable enough... but not very helpful... give me Specifics. Specifics I can plan for/mitigate. Vague allusions to "bad things happening" are seen as so much Fear Mongering or jus' plain ol' Ignorance.

I would like to start making some solo dives this coming dive season... ,but only under the following conditions...

- very familiar dive site (dove dozens of times)
- 50' max depth (more commonly 35-40')
- redundant air (pony)
- bigger than usual primary backgas (LP121)
- knife & shears

I've got 51 dives (deepest being 101') , am in good health and believe I am approaching the idea of solo diving with the proper respect/mindset.

So... gimme some of the Concrete "what ifs" that would convince me I havent thought this through yet.

As one of those who echoed "you don't know what you don't know" to you in previous thread, I'll try to shed some light on things that may entail.

During that conversation your questions were regarding much deeper dives than you're posting here, so the answer will be different.

Questions I would have would center around conditions. What is the water temp going to be where you are diving? What is the visibility? Is there a hard bottom, or possibility for ending up deeper than your plan? Is the area prone to heavy currents?

Depending on the answers to things like that brings up an entirely different
set of questions. Things to consider for example, in cold water, is the reg your diving predisposed to freezing? Have you tested your resistance to narcosis in cold, dark water previously as many people are more prone to it under those conditions?

* Yes, I understand that you havent said you're diving in such conditions, I'm just throwing ideas at you to consider *

Other equipment considerations, if you dive with a larger than normal tank, do you have adequate lift? If you end up adding a pony are you familiar with deployment? Can you reach the valves in the event of a) a free flow that you cant shut off, or b) you find that you entered the water, cant turn it on and have no buddy to do it for you.

Other skills considerations have been mentioned by many other posters already. One thing I havent seen mentioned is the ability to do several of these skills simultaneously. It's one thing to be able to hover motionless in the water. Its another to do it with a reg free flowing, a mask flooding and a cramp in your leg from finning against a current, or trying to swim a bc failure up. Or to deploy a lift bag if you lost your mask.

Extreme examples? Yes, but keep in mind, it's usually not one problem that gets you, it's a series of problems that continue unchecked.

You might also benefit by reading through the Near Misses and Lessons learned section and consider how you'd handle some of those situations if you were diving by yourself.

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide if you have the skills and the confidence to dive solo and have thought through all the scenarios.

Good luck with whatever you decide and dive safe!

One thing I considered before starting to solo, was what happens when I get to the beach with a problem. Are there other people around? How would I get medical help if I needed it? Especially in the winter, many times there isn't anyone on the beach when I exit the water.

Maybe you don't have these issues at your dive sites, but what about marine life? A jelly across the face that swells your eyes shut. Stingray stinger in your foot as you exit the water. An eel biting your finger off (ok, I saw that on YouTube). Odds are slim those would happen, but both of those things did to other divers when I was there.

Most likely, the problem you will have is you screwing up. If you are okay with that, go for it. Remember, you don't have a buddy to thumb the dive when it gets dicey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom