Not Sure How I'd Handle This

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is something that I'm thinking often, even though is off topic: how many times divers have found a dead body somewhere? Beside being a diver, I'm also a runner, and runners find dead bodies all the time...
And a related topic: it would be interesting to see what happen to a body that decompose in a drysuit, which shouldn't have any exchange with the outside environment, therefore it would be a very slow and interesting way of decomposition. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sick, I'm just a curious scientist...

Remains in a wetsuit ~100 meters:

Thanks!

This one is even "better" (the blue hole is known to be a graveyard)

Some years ago a couple of guys put down a maniquin dressed in an old drysuit, fins, BCD and scuba tank near one of our local wreck dives. They carefully placed it so that it was partially buried underneath a piece of the wreck. It scared the bejeebers out of some local divers before it became known that it wasn't a real person ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Fortunately, the Mukilteo Man (Mukilteo Man) isn't so scary.

We have a car sunk in our training lake. We used to have fun with the other teams that would practice there, putting large teddy bears in the drivers' seat, a doll in a car seat in the back, etc.

There's a great white shark in a local lake in Kent. It's about 19ft long.

to pull a stunt like that to a new diver is stupid, irresponsible and dangerous. a new diver has enough anxiety and fear underwater without the need for this type of prank. if you cause the new diver to panic, they could drown, or shoot to the surface causing and embolism. how funny would that be? i have done search and recover many times, there is nothing worse than recovering a victim underwater. my worst experience was recovering a 10 year old male who went missing at a local lake. he was underwater for about an hour. i located him in approximately 20 feet of water, got him to the surface and started in water cpr on the swim in to shore. his mother was on the shore when she saw me bringing her son in. i will never forget the scream from her when she saw her son. that was over 40 years ago. so pulling a stunt like this is funny??? absolutely irresponsible.

to pull a stunt like that to a new diver is stupid, irresponsible and dangerous. a new diver has enough anxiety and fear underwater without the need for this type of prank. if you cause the new diver to panic, they could drown, or shoot to the surface causing and embolism. how funny would that be? i have done search and recover many times, there is nothing worse than recovering a victim underwater. my worst experience was recovering a 10 year old male who went missing at a local lake. he was underwater for about an hour. i located him in approximately 20 feet of water, got him to the surface and started in water cpr on the swim in to shore. his mother was on the shore when she saw me bringing her son in. i will never forget the scream from her when she saw her son. that was over 40 years ago. so pulling a stunt like this is funny??? absolutely irresponsible.
Have to agree, especially with a new diver it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

We have a car sunk in our training lake. We used to have fun with the other teams that would practice there, putting large teddy bears in the drivers' seat, a doll in a car seat in the back, etc.

About 15 years ago someone decided to jettison a VW Beetle in one of our local dive sites. They cleaned it up and towed it to a boat ramp, where they let it roll into the water, and then used lift bags to move it around. For several weeks they played a game of "where's the bug", going out in the middle of the night to move it to a different location until they finally settled on a permanent spot in about 40 feet of water near a manmade rock reef. A couple years after that I was DM'ing for an instructor who used to tell his DM's on the final dive of class to give him five minutes, then lead the students down that way on their tour. As we approached the car you could see bubbles coming from inside of it. We'd swim up, the instructor was (of course) sitting inside. He'd roll down the window and give each student a high-five as they swam past.

Today there's not much left of that car other than the tires, chassis, and interior bits ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom