Not the best swimmer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the gear exchange how is it graded? Now that it hasn't been pass/fail for a few years and you say time isn't a factor, I would assume you'd loose marks for bumbling around, making mistakes or having trouble coordinating the buddy breathing?
Think I've already asked about how you'd grade each person since it is a drill that depends on both doing it correctly.
Exercise 5: Equipment Exchange
In confined water, demonstrate the ability to effectively
respond to an unusual circumstance underwater by
exchanging all scuba equipment (except exposure suits and
weights) with a buddy while sharing a single regulator
second stage earning a minimum score of 3.
Conduct:
• Orient candidates to procedures for sharing a single
regulator second stage, including exhalation between
breaths and not covering the purge button as the regulator
is passed back and forth.
• Give buddy teams less than five minutes to discuss the exercise.
• Have candidates begin sharing a single regulator second stage
in water too deep in which to stand, exchange equipment
and continue sharing air until they reach shallow water.
• Do not assign problems — allow candidates to resolve any
naturally-occurring ones.

Score Criteria
5 Task performed in a well-thought-out, efficient and
purposeful manner with no sign of problems; very
low anxiety level. Looks routine and appears easy.
4 Task performed competently with a relatively low
anxiety level. Challenges encountered were easily
and efficiently handled.
3 Complete exchange occurred without surfacing.
However, numerous challenges were encountered
that delayed the speed and efficiency of the
performance. This score is also appropriate for a
diver overly dependent on another.
2 Significant problems demonstrated, and exchange
completed only after one or both team members
surfaced once.
1 Inability to complete the exchange; or exchange
completed with one or both divers surfacing more
than once.

Final exchange thought-- OK, I guess an instructor could evaluate each buddy separately. Such as: at one point one diver gets anxious, fumbles and surfaces while the other patiently awaits the task to resume. Or, one seems ill at ease buddy breathing and the other not. I still can't help think it could be difficult to grade individually when the whole task is all team effort.
I think it was best when it was pass/fail.
I don't have paperwork for back in 2009 when I did it, but seem to recall the description of the task was very similar. Of course there was no description of 1-5 points as it was pass/fail.
The other 4 skills are individual with 3 of them based solely on time and the float on a couple of things--like can you do the hands out 2 minutes. There is nothing for the instructor to look at except the diver(s)--ie., any infractions such as grabbing the side to rest, etc.-- and a watch. Smoothness, form and teamwork don't apply.

Do you have examples of places people could learn to swim better? I learned quickly that freestyle isn't the best in a wet suit or at least mine. Other than swimming faster and conditioning, I'm not really sure what to ask or focus on.and slowly improve technique.

Find out if there's a triathlon club in your area - they frequently hold workshops on improving swimming form, or just go to lap swim at your local Y and practice, and ask the faster people for pointers. See if you can get a hold of the TotalImmersion videos which teach several drills to make you more efficient - it's Mr. Miyagi, wax on/wax off sort of stuff.

Our Y used to keep 2 lanes open for adult lap swim while the high school swim team practices in the other 4, and the coach offered pointers to lap swimmers. Some things he told me
- swim with hand paddles - any time you feel the paddle pulling away from your hand, you're doing something wrong
- swim holding a tennis ball in each hand - teaches you to use your forearm surface as well and gives you a better feel for arm position.

Get a used sleeveless triathlon wetsuit - they're MADE for freestyle and to reduce drag.

Finally - conditioning. The whole reason you're timed on this is because, if you're going to be responsible for other people in a physically demanding environment, you need to be in shape. Run for cardio and swim for upper body stamina.

Do you have examples of places people could learn to swim better? The local YMCA has private swim classes along with a local college. Is there something that has worked for people in the past? I learned quickly that freestyle isn't the best in a wet suit or at least mine. Other than swimming faster and conditioning, I'm not really sure what to ask or focus on.

and slowly improve technique.
Do you have any formal swim training? If not, swim lessons are a good start.
Then start swimming laps on a regular basis, and when you get to the point where you can swim 500m without stopping, find the Total Immersion videos online and do their drills for a few laps of each workout.

Get in touch with your local triathlon community - at least one of your regional race directors will offer open water swim clinics the day before their races at the venues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom