???? Not the Toby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Saw this slithering through some coral off Maui a few weeks ago. The spots were a bright purple and even though it was moving I never saw either end of it.

Any thoughts to what it is??

Dave

my guess is uropterygius tigrinus

i believe the common name is a tiger moray

fg2335.JPG

alcina:
Some sort of snake eel would be my first guess :)

It looked very snake like to me. When we got back to the boat I asked the DM if there was any sea snakes in the area he laughed and said no. I found in a book that Hawaii does have sea snakes but they are rare.

He said you must of seen a "tiger tail". I have seen tiger tails many times in the Caribean. This was to serpintine too be a tiger tail.

Do the spots seem consistant with a sea snake??

ringojcp:
i believe the common name is a tiger moray

fg2335.JPG

Hmm.....you could be right. Is the purple color of the spots consistant with this eel?

Hi Thien --
It would be better if you linked to photos on other websites, especially professional photography sites, instead of downloading & posting the picture without credits. Photographers tend to get upset when their work is used without consent. For this one the link is http://www.painetworks.com/pages2/fg/fg2335.html
Cheers, Leslie

Yup, It's a Tiger Moray (hawaiian name = Puhi). The spots were most likely purple looking at depth, with the strobe they are more brownish.

that picture is linked if you check the properties, i do not download pictures off the web

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom