???? Not the Toby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
Yup, It's a Tiger Moray (hawaiian name = Puhi). The spots were most likely purple looking at depth, with the strobe they are more brownish.

I think you are right on, here. I wish I could of seen it's head. I saw about 2-2.5 ft of it without ever seeing one end or the other. I guess I was lucky to see any of it being in the middle of the day.

Thanks everyone for your help.

This was my first trip tp Hawaii. It was a lot of fun so many things I have never seen before. I hope I can return soon.

Good Diving,

Dave

ringojcp:
that picture is linked if you check the properties, i do not download pictures off the web

Glad to hear it!:cheers: I wasn't clear enough, sorry. I meant it's better to include the link so people can check it out themselves rather than link the photo directly to the post as you've done. Most photographers have very strong feelings about this, especially the ones who have posted images in order to sell them. Professional sites often incorporate web tracers into their pictures so they can trace unauthorized usage.
Cheers, Leslie

yea, lisa is always right on this stuff. i get confused because the Tiger Moray has spots not stripes, like a Tiger! I say we rename them Cheetah Morays. Who names these things anyway?

ringojcp:
that picture is linked if you check the properties, i do not download pictures off the web

explain this to me! so, I guess the properties links to the web? and that is kosher?

I am just learning about this...

catherine96821:
explain this to me! so, I guess the properties links to the web? and that is kosher?
I am just learning about this...

When you post a message you can attach a file from either your own computer or from an URL which is convenient for people who use web photo galleries like Flickr. By right clicking on an image then clicking properties you'll see the location of the image. It's fine & dandy to attach someone else's image if you have permission or if the site explicitly says it can be used without copyright violation. If not, it's a violation so it's much better (& much more courteous) to just include the link in the text of your message. How do you react if you find one of your Angelfish images somewhere on the web without permission? Some people may be pleased but most of the photographers I know dislike it.

SterlingDiver:
It looked very snake like to me. When we got back to the boat I asked the DM if there was any sea snakes in the area he laughed and said no. I found in a book that Hawaii does have sea snakes but they are rare.

Do the spots seem consistant with a sea snake??

FWIW a "snake eel" and a "sea snake" are different critters :wink:

Glad you found the ID!

Your right, according to the book it is not really a day critter...good find, even if you didn't see the head...they kinda look like they had a bad case of acne...lol...I have a picture of the one we have here...it also has spots, but it is spotted evenly. I have it on our other computer, when I get home next week I'll post it

SterlingDiver:
Hmm............I stand corrected.

I know you'vegot your id but here are a couple of true "snake eels" that look like sea snakes for future reference:

Myrichthys colubrinus (Harlequin snake eel)
21091077_b89cb1a9ab.jpg

Myrichthys maculosus (Tiger snake)
21099346_3977a16aec.jpg

isurus:
I know you'vegot your id but here are a couple of true "snake eels" that look like sea snakes for future reference:

Myrichthys colubrinus (Harlequin snake eel)
21091077_b89cb1a9ab.jpg

Myrichthys maculosus (Tiger snake)
21099346_3977a16aec.jpg

isurus,

Thank you for this info.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom