Not-too-heavy fins for cold water, variety of kicks, and long surface swims?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got four pairs of them. Found them for $10/pair at an LDS sale who didn't want to sell these anymore I guess. My kids use them, usually for snorkeling as only my daughter is certified to dive. I've tried them. They're okay but I far prefer my dive-rite XT's. They're a little smaller than XT's and quite a bit lighter and more buoyant than XT's although I think they'e still slightly negative.

I think knee/leg problems are the very reason split/articulating fins were invented isn't it? Might be worth considering although I'm not sure you can frog kick in splits.

Hollis F1s.....and I'm not a Hollis fan.
This....except....I DO dive Hollis F1's....these to be exact

Hollis-F1-Bat-Fins-Yellow.jpg

Aren't Hollis F1s just as heavy as Jets?

roughly. you see them more commonly with drysuit divers because of it.

That's what I thought. Maybe I lost the direction the thread went, but I thought the OP was specifically looking for fins that would be easy on his legs yet good for precision kicks due to some kind of health issue.

Northeast Scuba Supply Store has a Jet Fin bulk buy going for less than $40. At that price, OP could just try out a pair to see if they will work. Jet Fin Bulk Buy - SAVE BIG!!!

That's what I thought. Maybe I lost the direction the thread went, but I thought the OP was specifically looking for fins that would be easy on his legs yet good for precision kicks due to some kind of health issue.
The F1's are fairly heavy I suppose seeing as how they are certainly negatively weighted. But I suppose "heavy" is a relative term dependent on the user. For me they fit the OP's requests: great for a variety of kicks, great for long surface swims, and not so heavy that my legs are sore and worn out halfway through a dive. Honestly I found myself getting cramps far more often with my Tusa X-Per Zoom splits than I do my bat fins. The F1's may not be for everyone and they can be on the higher end financially, but for me they just work, especially in current when you need that little bit of extra power.

For me the size of the blade puts more strain on my quads than the weight of the fins. I prefer a bit smaller fins and do a quicker kick when I want to motor along on the surface. I love my scubapro GO fins for warm water, but find my the blades on my Mares Quatro+ cold water fins a bit large.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom