Not your typical "How to secure octo" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am seeking options and opinions on the best way for me to secure my octo on my rig. I know there are a ton of these threads on this site and many others on the internet however my setup has a caveat. I typically use a FFM and therefor in the case of an OOA scenario I would hand off my octo to the diver in need. Considering this, I have attached a long hose to my octo as opposed to my primary reg. Here are the areas I need help with:

- How should I secure the octo to my BP&W with enough strength to stay put in the sometimes chaotic environments of diving but also so that it can be pulled away by a diver in need of air?

- How should I handle all of the extra hose length? Bungee seemed like a good idea but again if a diver pulls the octo away from me the bungee would keep the hose coiled defeating the purpose.

- How important is it to keep the mouthpiece covered? I would like to keep sand and other particles out but all of the mouthpiece holders I've seen have bad reviews and ratings.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I just got one of these things at another user's suggestion for my air2 power inflator/octo. Magnetic-Hose-Holder-Black-Body
Magnetic-Hose-Holder-Black-Body-One-Only12071-5497.jpg

The magnet is surprisingly strong, I'm somewhat fascinated with the device, really. Strong enough that I'm confident it won't just fall off, yet it can be removed by pulling on it easily enough. Actually, I'm thinking of putting my SPG on one of these as well if the magnet doesn't affect SPG function.

You'll still have to deal with the hose its-self. I guess the actual length will dictate what you must do with it. You might have to coil the hose if you've got a very long one. You'll probably want to find something that can break off with only modest effort. You could probably put some line around one of those magnetic holders to form a loop, and clip it to a D-ring. I'd bet someone else has a better idea.

I've never bothered to cover the mouthpiece on any of my regulators, and it's never been a problem for me...

Thanks kelemvor, I actually saw you post that same item in a different thread and have been eye balling it ever since. Did you get the standard plastic one or did you upgrade to metal?

I just got one of these things at another user's suggestion for my air2 power inflator/octo. Magnetic-Hose-Holder-Black-Body
Magnetic-Hose-Holder-Black-Body-One-Only12071-5497.jpg

The magnet is surprisingly strong, I'm somewhat fascinated with the device, really. Strong enough that I'm confident it won't just fall off, yet it can be removed by pulling on it easily enough. Actually, I'm thinking of putting my SPG on one of these as well if the magnet doesn't affect SPG function.

You'll still have to deal with the hose its-self. I guess the actual length will dictate what you must do with it. You might have to coil the hose if you've got a very long one. You'll probably want to find something that can break off with only modest effort. You could probably put some line around one of those magnetic holders to form a loop, and clip it to a D-ring. I'd bet someone else has a better idea.

I've never bothered to cover the mouthpiece on any of my regulators, and it's never been a problem for me...
How does your compass work now?

I'd probably look into a break-away attachement like is done in many sidemount setups.

How does your compass work now?
I haven't dove with the magnets yet, but I'm hoping it will be just fine. Compass is on my right wrist. Power inflator and spg are on the left side of my body.

Thanks kelemvor, I actually saw you post that same item in a different thread and have been eye balling it ever since. Did you get the standard plastic one or did you upgrade to metal?
Standard plastic.

Standard plastic.
After closer inspection it seems the upgrade only refers to the clip portion of the item as opposed to the housing. I'll probably just pick up a couple of these and upgrade the clip myself.

If you're just looking for a standard attachment, I find these work better than most of the more expensive options ...

Personally, I'm a big fan of a bungee'd octo, using a primary donate method if a hand-off is needed ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

- How should I handle all of the extra hose length? Bungee seemed like a good idea but again if a diver pulls the octo away from me the bungee would keep the hose coiled defeating the purpose.
Some folks secure long hoses to the tank with bungees, bands, or velcro straps. Just run the hose up and down the length of the tank and secure it fairly near each end of the layout. Have the octo come out between the two straps/bungees instead of the top, then fasten it in the triangle with one of the above suggestions. The hose will play out between the straps when pulled instead of having to pull all the way out one end. You can take the octo out the top, but it will have direct friction of both bands, where coming out between will only have friction from one band at a time. A shorter hose could get by with a single band.

Very quick and crude example. Play with the location of the two bands (not the bands that secure the tank) and the amount of hose between them to get the best results.

Attachments

• 212197_81_31676_57hYH8906.jpg
    212197_81_31676_57hYH8906.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom