Notka Pulse underwater metal detector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone here have any background, experience, etc. with the Nokta Pulse underwater metal detector?

PulseDive 2-in-1 Set | Nokta Makro Metal Detectors

Was looking for something a little smaller and portable than my full size detectors to just do a little coin and ring hunting, not really after Black Beard's treasure, for that I'll take the full sized rig. I do have a little background with MD but not familiar with this particular brand.

Any reviews on this? Also open to suggestions for other brands, types, options. As I said, I have a couple of full sized UW MD rigs, I'm just looking for something smaller, less cumbersome, and easier to deploy.

I have the Nokta Simplex which is good for shallow water, 3 meters, and it is absolutely incredible. I like the fact that I can update the software on the unit with the included cable.

That's interesting, not finding anything about that for the Pulsedive but still a good feature.

Well, I did some more web crawling and got some good reviews on the Pulsedive so decided to pull the trigger on one. Took it snorkeling today. The place I went literally had about a 12" viz (not sure why I bothered to wear a mask,.) Didn't find a whole lot but had a lot of fun.

I have a pulsedive, but I haven't taken it underwater yet.

It has a single detection tone. There is no discrimination between different metals. Either it beeps, or it doesn't.

It comes with a pin point probe & a small hoop probe. A larger hoop is available as an option. The larger hoop is said to greatly increase the range of detection. I assume that it will also decrease the battery life, but that is just an assumption on my part.

My above water tests have been promising. The thing seems to work well.

Even with the hoop, after several passes, I can usually locate the position of the object within an inch or two.

Depth sensitivity seem good for such a little gizmo.

The price was right.

OK, I've taken my Pulsedive underwater twice now. Once snorkeling and once on SCUBA, IT's a nice simple detector for what it does. There are different settings but I mainly just used one. I set it for the medium depth and I did locate targets but the area was relatively clean. These two trips were just trash clean ups The snorkel area was a clear bottom although no visibility. The diving trip had excellent vis (for around here, about 10ft) but bottom was covered in seaweed like plants. (We jokingly dubbed it kelp forest and sargasso sea since it was an inland manmade lake.) To be effective, the bottom really needs to be clear of seaweed, It was so thick on the bottom in places, it was deeper than the range of the coil. I still managed to locate a few targets in some clear areas. I'm already thinking about saving my box tops to get the larger 8" coil. Still, it was a fun trip. My dive buddy does not detect so I did not stay the full time in MD mode. One thing I do plan is to fashion a way to secure it to my rig when not in use. I simply do not like carrying anything in my hands.

I'm glad I got it. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to get it back to a couple of areas where I know the hunting is much better.

Calabash, have you tried it in the salt water yet? The box says it's pulse induction so it should ingore salt water. Should even be useful in a gold field from what I understand about PI tech.

I have used it in brackish quit as a mouse....One thing to note it does not like to be used close to my Excalibur II ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom