Nov 2 through Nov 6 Staying in LBTS - Shore diving mostly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know how often you get to dive in S. Florida, but I would recommend you don't cheap out and just do shore dives. Get out on a boat !

Beach diving has not happened for the last several days and won't be practical for the next week - at least.

So I have been watching the Deerfield beach cam - I admit I am not there but the waves don't look that bad - 2 or 3 foot max is what it looks like. Is it the rip tide that is the issue?
Thanks

Definitely concentrate on BHB for a few dives and if ocean conditions are agreeable hit the other spots. I wanted to do LBTS and Eurojacks but the ocean was too rough for my liking with NJ visibility to boot. Blown out for shore dives but the boats are a few miles out so they will have different conditions. I drove up to BHB and things were calm and I was able to dive with good visibility.

During my previous similar inquiries about shore diving I was strongly encouraged to boat dive, especially since I usually go during lemon shark aggregation time frame. Boat dives out of WPB and Jupiter will be better but they are drift dives and deeper. Hit some up. Ft. Lauderdale boat dives are a bit easier with shallower reefs and less current in my opinion if your wife will be diving.

if your wife will be diving.

I am talking her into 2 to 3 foot waves - if the current is ripping that is different but we should be able to get 3/4 to 1.5 off shore with DPVs...
The plan is if it is bigger we hit BHB...

We still have 2 weeks before we go...

Plan B - Dec 6th to Dec 12th - this hurricane is messing with viz and shore diving....

While you are here, you may want to follow The Beach Diver on FB, he posts almost daily conditions reports on his feed. Here is a snapshot from his feed that shows the forecast for next week through the weekend, looks like something is brewing out there and visiting us next weekend. Have fun but stay safe, beach diving in 3 to 4' seas is not much fun since visibility will be drastically reduced and you will feel like you are diving in a washing machine.
123163011_4753103031396521_1084925688362593840_n.jpg

So a quick wrap up - went down on the AutoTrain and made it to LBTS.

Shore dove the Anglin Pier reefs - they were ok - nothing fantastic 1st, 2nd and 3rd reefs.
Shore dove the Blue Heron Bridge - very good viz until a group of 6 or so zoomed past us and rototilled the silt... It did settle down and we had a great 82 min dive.
Shore dove the Perry Street Rocks - one of my favorite dives - very good and close to the shore.
Shore dove the Euro Jacks and that was also outstanding - huge sting ray and green turtles - used the DPVs to get to the jacks.
Boat dove with South Florida Diving Headquarters - United Caribbean and a drift dive - really enjoyed the United Caribbean - saw a large grouper and turtles.
Did not dive the Boynton Beach area - the lifeguard was really being a pain about shore diving so we just left...
Well worth it - used DPVs for all dives except the BHB and the drift dive. Being able to cover more ground and see more life was well worth the trip. Most everyone wore masks on the boat as well as in the restaurants - seemed very safe to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom