Novice couple needs BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackdav

Reaction score
My wife and I are both novices very excited about getting into diving. We have discussed it and are agreed that, with our very lives at stake, diving equipment is no place to skimp. So I have read and looked around and I think that a pair of either the SeaQuest Pro Unlimited or the Zeagle Ranger would be BCs which we would probably be satisfied with. If anyone feels up to comparing and /or contrasting these two BCs .... or suggesting other alternatives, the guidance would be most welcome. I expect the sort of diving we'll be doing mostly will be sport diving on the west coast of the US and in the Carribean. I am in a bit of a hurry to get one cuz the BCs for rent at my LDS seem pretty crummy.

Best Regards,
Jack in Phoenix

Jack,

I think there are several threads on the board already that can be of assistance to you where we have discussed the pros and cons of different BCDs (I would attach them here for you but I am not real swift on attaching threads). I believe the general consensus was whatever the diver felt most comfortable with.

I personally dive with the Seaquest Pro QD and am quite happy with it.

JackDav,

For the kind of diving you mentioned, either of those BC's should work. They are two of the favorites here at Scubaboard.

I love my Ranger, but there are a couple of hints I'd like to lend... most of the parts on the ranger are interchangable, i.e. I have a Medium size body with a small cumberbund and shoulders. I also have the lumbar pad and just ordered the saddle strap. If one part doesn't fit just right ask your dealer to change it!

-kate

Jack,

I, too, have a SeaQuest QD Pro and am very fond of it--the SeaQuest you cited is an updated sexier version of mine and Socaldiver's BCs. It has a number of bells and whistles that make it more versatile and somewhat more wear resistant. The SeaQuest has a different design concept than the Ranger and it would be worthwhile for you to try them both out.

Ladyjack might appreciate the Diva LX or Pro QD Diva versions of the SeaQuest if you head that direction.
I do not think the Ranger comes in a female-specific style...and because of its design, I suspect that it may not be necessary.

But, the main message is try before you buy!!!

Joewr

A really good BC can be purchased in the $350-450 range. And remember that if you buy a quality BC now, you won't be buying another later because you either don't like it, wear it out, or grow beyond it's capabilities (such as tech diving). So it's best to make a good choice now.

If having all of the money at once is a concern, investigate your LDS's lay-away plan. Almost all of the major dive shops in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that I have visited have informed me that their plan allows me to pay a bit at a time and allow me to use the item I am purchasing as long as I returned it back to the shop when I am done.

Here is a repeat of some of my earlier comments about buying a BC (plus a plug for the Zeagle Ranger BC):

• I dive and highly recommend the Zeagle Ranger. And before I tell you why, let me give you some pointers in selecting a BC.

First, no matter what manufacturer or model you select, your primary goal is comfort! If your BC is too small or too big, you will always be fidgeting with it and not enjoy the dive. You want your BC to fit you in such a way that when you are in the water, it literally dissapears and you forget it's there.

Second, you need to decide if you want a weight integration or not. Wieght integration allows you to carry some or all of your weight in special pockets on the BC. And the designers have put some thought into the location of these pockets so that they assist in providing the optimum "trim" with regards to your center of gravity so you are in the correct swimming position.

Third, decide on back or vest inflation. [red]Vest inflation[/red] has the bladder coming around the front like a life jacket and will provide you a positive feedback as to the volume of air by squeezing your middle. [red]Back inflation[/red] has the bladder "wrapping" up around the tank. The benefits of this one is that it is more hydrodymanic (similar to aerodynamic), the bladders can be switched out when more lift is required, and you don't get squeezed like a toothpaste tube when fully inflated.

Fourth, and probably most important, decide on what level of diving you will be doing both now and 3-4 years in the future. The life expectancy of a well maintained BC is more than 10 years, so choosing a BC can be compared to choosing a motor vehicle. Are you going to always be driving on the highways with a car(recreational diving) or do "off-road" or "work" with a truck (technical diving). Tehnical diving includes doing anything in an overhead environment (such as entering ship wrecks, caverns, and caves) and requires a different configuration. So if you desire to do any tech diving, then the recreational BC's should be passed up.

Now that you have some good tips on selecting your BC, let me tell you why the Zeagle Ranger should be one that you really need to look at.

• [red]Fit [/red]-- The Ranger can be easily customized to fit your body, whether your a round person or a stick person. All parts of the harness and bladder are interchangeable. So if you have wide shoulders, long torso, and a narrow waist, the correct components can be obtained to provide a custom fit. The bladder can also be changed to one that provides additional lift.

[red]Rec or Tech?[/red] -- The Ranger is one of the best BC's to carry you through any recreational dive through to moderate technical diving. It can be setup for double tanks and has plenty of attachment points for gear.

[red]Back Inflation & Weight Integration[/red] -- The Ranger is classified as a back inflation BC. As such, I have found it to require a bit less effort to swim than the vest BC's I used during my o/w training and overseas dive trip. And it's nice not to be squeezed like toothpast. (Regarding floating on surface and face planting. Not all users experience this. I have absolutely no problem with the Ranger doing this, and besides, you want to be under the water, not floating on top! When the Ranger is properly weight trimmed, face planting is minimized). The weights fit easily into the side pockets and Zeagle even makes a nice weight pouch that slides right into the weight pockets.

The Ranger is a bit more than some other BC's, but it has been getting great reviews both in the magazines and on the street. Many of the contributors to this board dive the Ranger and love it as much as I do. So I encourage you to consider it.

One more good tip: If you can, try to borrow the BC's you are considering and do at least a pool dive with them. Trying them on in the store over street clothes won't tell you as much as getting them wet will.

And if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!!!

jackdav....

TexasMike hit all the key points in making the decision between the two BC's. Currently I own both of these BCs and love both of them. I wear my Pro Unlimited when teaching students and spend time at the surface explaining skills and what have ya. I find the Ranger to be very comfortable underwater as it holds you in the right position as you swim along. Some divers have a problem of being comfortable at the surface with rear inflated BCs but when properly weighted you don't have the sensation of being pushed forward by the bladder. Both BC's are a very excellent choice and I recommend diving both and seeing which you are most comfortable with. Good Luck and Happy Diving! It always feels great to buy new scuba equipment!

Aaron Aardal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom