NSS-CDS Board of Directors Election

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This isn't the first time I dipped my toe into running for the CDS BOD. I was nominated before but dropped out before the election because I felt it wasn't worth the time, headache, or potential lost friendships. What's changed is that I see the CDS as having lost its way and on a trajectory that will be successful but at the expense of abandoning some core values it has long been slowly disconnecting from. After the latest step to sever CDS membership from NSS membership I felt it was important enough that I needed to run and, if elected, serve. That's why my platform is what some may consider abrasive - I don't want anyone to misunderstand what they are buying if they vote for me or be surprised when I vote the way I do on their behalf.

If I don't get elected it doesn't hurt my feelings at all. I'm not running for the board of directors to pad my cave diving CV, win a popularity contest, or angle for some favor with this faction or that faction. The thing I hate most about running for the BOD is that some people might misinterpret my candidacy as running against particular people. I can disagree with people, even on something small time like cave diving politics, and still consider them friends. I trust the feeling is mutual. I am running for an idea of what the CDS can be. Don't vote for me because you like me or you want to be on my team, vote for me if you agree with what I want to do.

If I do get elected, I am going to try and do everything I can to make the CDS something greater than a training agency that puts on parties and holds the keys to a couple dive sites. Those things are side benefits that have become the focus. The CDS should be contributing to the scientific community. The CDS should be doing landowner outreach to get sites open. The CDS should be encouraging people who have cave diving skills to do things with those skills. Is the soul of cave diving more like BMX or more like space exploration? I think it should be the latter.

If you have specific questions about why I have the opinions I have, why I am running, or what I want to do, you can ask me online, in a pm, or in person. I'm easy to find.

Bob Schulte

Thanks for joining the thread Bob and providing additional perspective!

This isn't the first time I dipped my toe into running for the CDS BOD. I was nominated before but dropped out before the election because I felt it wasn't worth the time, headache, or potential lost friendships. What's changed is that I see the CDS as having lost its way and on a trajectory that will be successful but at the expense of abandoning some core values it has long been slowly disconnecting from. After the latest step to sever CDS membership from NSS membership I felt it was important enough that I needed to run and, if elected, serve. That's why my platform is what some may consider abrasive - I don't want anyone to misunderstand what they are buying if they vote for me or be surprised when I vote the way I do on their behalf.

If I don't get elected it doesn't hurt my feelings at all. I'm not running for the board of directors to pad my cave diving CV, win a popularity contest, or angle for some favor with this faction or that faction. The thing I hate most about running for the BOD is that some people might misinterpret my candidacy as running against particular people. I can disagree with people, even on something small time like cave diving politics, and still consider them friends. I trust the feeling is mutual. I am running for an idea of what the CDS can be. Don't vote for me because you like me or you want to be on my team, vote for me if you agree with what I want to do.

If I do get elected, I am going to try and do everything I can to make the CDS something greater than a training agency that puts on parties and holds the keys to a couple dive sites. Those things are side benefits that have become the focus. The CDS should be contributing to the scientific community. The CDS should be doing landowner outreach to get sites open. The CDS should be encouraging people who have cave diving skills to do things with those skills. Is the soul of cave diving more like BMX or more like space exploration? I think it should be the latter.

If you have specific questions about why I have the opinions I have, why I am running, or what I want to do, you can ask me online, in a pm, or in person. I'm easy to find.

Bob Schulte

Thanks for joining the thread Bob and providing additional perspective!

Your fault, you said the B-word three times.

beetlejuice.jpg

However, I will say that voter turn-out has been very low the past few years and this has to change.
There's definitely a disconnect between the organization and the cave community and most of it has to do with their antiquated and bassackwards approach to social media. I've given up trying to help and that's made me not care about who gets voted in and who doesn't. I honestly feel that my input is not wanted and so my vote is probably not that important. The best thing about the NSS-CDS is that you're not the NACD. I'm confident my candor will be construed as me having a "bad attitude". That's how it's been communicated to me in the past, but you don't combat apathy by shutting down dissent or even controversy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom