NSS-CDS Board of Directors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you have to be Abe Davis to dive it. Not that it really matters since the owners of dive outpost don’t actually check anymore. I’m thinking that’s something the CDS should be putting some effort into dealing with.

They removed the Abe Davis requirement for Cow a while ago.

I mean considering the NFSA formed because the CDS was a cluster and wouldn't get out of training to focus on conservation, I'm sure it's pointed directly at the NFSA...

That's interesting because I formed the NFSA. It had nothing to do with the CDS, and in fact I was the chairman of the CDS at the time of formation. The NFSA was an extension of the Peacock Springs committee with the goal to increase the mission, which is provide support to certain state parks. Where our membership has been mostly cave divers, and park users frequently cave divers, projects that have been done have a benefit to the cave diving community. The NFSA is absolutely not a cave diving organization, and we stay mutually exclusive to much of the politics with those organizations.

That's interesting because I formed the NFSA. It had nothing to do with the CDS, and in fact I was the chairman of the CDS at the time of formation. The NFSA was an extension of the Peacock Springs committee with the goal to increase the mission, which is provide support to certain state parks. Where our membership has been mostly cave divers, and park users frequently cave divers, projects that have been done have a benefit to the cave diving community. The NFSA is absolutely not a cave diving organization, and we stay mutually exclusive to much of the politics with those organizations.

Fair enough, I heard different from others that were involved in the NFSA, but can't get better than the horses mouth. Do you think you would have formed the NFSA if the CDS was not in cave training at the time and was a more inclusive organization focused on the things the NFSA are doing now?

You likely became a member when you were certified through the NSS-CDS. People that have never been a member of the NSS-CDS receive a complimentary 1 year membership when they earn their first certification through the organization.
I didn't think that actually worked anymore. I have received multiple NSS-CDS certs and have never received any membership details. I'm not on the posted list either.

I didn't think that actually worked anymore. I have received multiple NSS-CDS certs and have never received any membership details. I'm not on the posted list either.

The rule went into effect in 2019, I believe, and only applies to your first certification as long as you were not previously a member. The intent was to introduce people that were new to the sport (or the organization) to the NSS-CDS and show them the value of the organization, it only applied to certs after the inception of the rule date moving forward.

In your specific case, because you're friends with Tupps, you're ineligible. I'm kidding of course, but it's likely you were either previously a member of the CDS or previously certified through the NSS-CDS or were certified prior to the inception of the rule date.

There have also been several other issues with the CDS membership database, which have been discussed throughout this thread, so another possibility is that your free membership was lost in the noise. The whole thing with the membership database is a sticky situation and one that is unlikely to be completely resolved until a new board is seated.

This election really is important. If you're currently a member and received your ballot, please go vote.

Fair enough, I heard different from others that were involved in the NFSA, but can't get better than the horses mouth. Do you think you would have formed the NFSA if the CDS was not in cave training at the time and was a more inclusive organization focused on the things the NFSA are doing now?
Actually the CDS being in cave training didn't have much of a reason. If anybody remembers the mid-90s cave divers had a terrible relationship with the parks. Cave divers were more of a hassle, with one park manager who preferred to keep Peacock closed after a flood, even when it was clear. The Peacock Springs committee was created as an offshoot of the Ichetucknee CSO,but we did such a good that the state wanted us to become a full CSO at several state parks, and that is where I created the NFSA. To make a long story short this was more of an attempt to develop landowner relations between the cave diving community and the park. With the bigger the high profile projects that we completed, the more that relationship really grew. Matter of fact the interpretive trail completed at Peacock, was voted the best long term project in the state, and netted a letter from the governor, which the cave diving community funded and built completely. The CDS has been an active part in helping in the form of donations or labor.

This election really is important. If you're currently a member and received your ballot, please go vote.

If you are a member and didn't get a ballot we wanted you counted. Please check with the CDS manager to make sure your information is up to date.

@karstdvr you're not really helping the justification for being a member of the CDS... I.e. the NFSA has done all the work and the CDS has helped but isn't being proactive in doing anything...

@karstdvr you're not really helping the justification for being a member of the CDS... I.e. the NFSA has done all the work and the CDS has helped but isn't being proactive in doing anything...
You are right I am not trying to justify being a member of the CDS, just adding clarity the NFSA is not a cave organization. Where the NFSA is more of a function for land owner relations with the state parks, if the CDS didn't exist you may not have access to Eagles Nest, LIttle River for example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom