• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

NTSB CONCEPTION HEARING - THIS TUESDAY @ 10AM

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by Ken Kurtis, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Ken Kurtis

Ken Kurtis Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    The National Transportation Safety Board will convene Tuesday at 10AM Pacific time (1PM Eastern) to hear the staff findings and recommendations on the fire aboard the Conception that killed 34 people on September 2 last year. This will mark the conclusion of their investigation and the public is invited to observe through the NTSB website. This will probably last 3-4 hours as it involves the various sub-groups of investigators (operations, engineering, fire, survivability, etc.) presenting the findings within their specialty. The five-member Board will then vote to accept, reject, or modify the recommendations of the staff. The Board is based in Washington, D.C., so these hearings normally start at 9:30AM Eastern, which is 6:30AM Pacific. Since they know there will be a large West Coast-based level of interest, they agreed to start later so that more west coasters can more easily tune in. This is the direct link: http://ntsb.windrosemedia.com/.

(Edited to clarify times.)

couv, eleniel, lexvil and 9 others like this.
  2. Ken Kurtis

The National Transportation Safety Board will convene Tuesday at 10AM Pacific time (1PM Eastern) to hear the staff findings and recommendations on the fire aboard the Conception that killed 34 people on September 2 last year. This will mark the conclusion of their investigation and the public is invited to observe through the NTSB website. This will probably last 3-4 hours as it involves the various sub-groups of investigators (operations, engineering, fire, survivability, etc.) presenting the findings within their specialty. The five-member Board will then vote to accept, reject, or modify the recommendations of the staff. The Board is based in Washington, D.C., so these hearings normally start at 9:30AM Eastern, which is 6:30AM Pacific. Since they know there will be a large West Coast-based level of interest, they agreed to start later so that more west coasters can more easily tune in. This is the direct link: http://ntsb.windrosemedia.com/.

(Edited to clarify the times.)

3. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Just to be clear for others, because I was confused. That's 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern. All the talk of Eastern times in your post and I was thinking it was Eastern. Yeah, I DID think to myself "They only gave 'em an extra half hour? That's pretty crappy." Well.. no, it's a 3.5 hour difference :wink:

4. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Wow... I can't wait to hear what they've come up with.

markmud and wnissen like this.
  5. fsardone

fsardone Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Thanks Ken,
    would you think it will be made available also after the fact or will it be only live streaming?

Cheers

6. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I would expect it to be recorded, most (public) meetings have been lately with covid

7. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    More information is here. The actual clickable link will be posted at the link in the quoted msg just prior to the opening of the event.

8. Ken Kurtis

Yes, it will be archived and available.

fsardone likes this.
  9. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  10. wnissen

wnissen ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Yes, given the sheer volume of speculation I've read here, I will be very, very interested to see what the experts were able to conclude, even with the difficulty of much of the boat having burned and no survivors from the lower deck as witnesses.