NTSB CONCEPTION HEARING - THIS TUESDAY @ 10AM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mentioned in my post (a few above this) the possibility of using battery-powered alarms. The problem I see with interconnected alarms is a power failure -- for example, if the fire is caused by a wiring problem, the same problem could cause the power to fail. Multiple battery-operated alarms wouldn't have that problem, as long as they were part of the routine maintenance of the boat. Interconnected alarms might work well as long as the boat was fully powered all the time. But, I'm not an electrician, and everything I'm saying here is speculation. I would underline the fact that these battery alarms are **cheap,** so why not?

I'd add that for all the technical talk here (which I think is helpful) I'm happy to see that everyone considers this disaster to be absolutely appalling.
Hardwired smoke detectors can have built in battery backups.

I mentioned in my post (a few above this) the possibility of using battery-powered alarms. The problem I see with interconnected alarms is a power failure -- for example, if the fire is caused by a wiring problem, the same problem could cause the power to fail. Multiple battery-operated alarms wouldn't have that problem, as long as they were part of the routine maintenance of the boat. Interconnected alarms might work well as long as the boat was fully powered all the time. But, I'm not an electrician, and everything I'm saying here is speculation. I would underline the fact that these battery alarms are **cheap,** so why not?

I'd add that for all the technical talk here (which I think is helpful) I'm happy to see that everyone considers this disaster to be absolutely appalling.
I believe that interconnected alarms may still be battery powered, but, interconnected by wire or wirelessly.

The problem I see with interconnected alarms is a power failure -

The way to go is wireless, first because it's easy, the second is that running new wiring, especially thru watertight bulkheads, may involve hireing a marine architect to design and ok it, and might trigger more unforeseen and expensive upgrades.

Good idea...

Hardwired Ionization Smoke Alarm with Battery Backup
  • 120-volt hardwired smoke alarm wires directly into your home’s electrical system
  • Ionization smoke sensor reliably detects particles from fast-flaming fires
  • Hassle-free installation, no need to rewire
  • Easy-to-access battery drawer; 9-volt battery included
  • Can integrate with up to 12 other First Alert or BRK hardwired smoke detectors

• Works in Tandem with Other First Alert Alarms
In addition to functioning independently, this smoke alarm can also integrate with up to 12 other First Alert or BRK hardwired alarms for coverage of larger spaces. This detector also integrates with up to six other compatible devices, such as bells, horns, and repeaters. If one alarm in the series is triggered, they will all sound. The alarm features a latching indicator to identify which unit triggered the alarm, alerting you to the area of danger.

I believe that interconnected alarms may still be battery powered, but, interconnected by wire or wirelessly.
Mine was wireless.

Maybe a board of experienced boat captains would be useful as an official input to dive boat safety. Come up with a detailed list of standards, and have the authority to certify a boat as being in compliance. Kind of like a university program being accredited.

Maybe a board of experienced boat captains would be useful as an official input to dive boat safety. Come up with a detailed list of standards, and have the authority to certify a boat as being in compliance. Kind of like a university program being accredited.
Like a safety checklist

Like a safety checklist

Like a USCG safety inspection.

It all hinges to what standards a vessel has to comply.

It probably would be useful but I kind of doubt it would displace the Coast Guard annual inspections. It might of course supplement them, informally.

Usually the best way to group up in situations like this is to have an Industry group or association, that "speaks with one voice" to the regulators. I know there's the Passenger Vessel Association, but don't know if they're supported by and giving support to, the small boat operators such as dive boats and charter fishing boats. As opposed to just the large passenger vessels like ferries and cruise ships/boats.

Maybe someone in the industry (Wookie?) could shed some light on whether there's a helpful group as opposed to each boat owner having to go it alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom