NTSB CONCEPTION HEARING - THIS TUESDAY @ 10AM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really sounds like a completely broken system to me. Hard to even say that safety was an afterthought, I have the impression it wasn't thought about at all.

I wonder if the captain or owner will win the finger pointing contest they have going on.
The US Attorney seems to plan to give at least the captain some sort of 'prize'.

The NTSB seems to point more towards the owner/company as being ultimately responsible
Even if the owner/company is ultimately responsible, the captain has to take a lot of blame, if only for the fact that he is the one who allowed them to ignore the rule on the roving watch.

I've only taken 7 liveaboards. I can't say with certainty whether any of these had a roving night watch, with one exception. I'm an older guy and I go to bed early and stay in my room until morning. On @Wookie M/V Spree, I had to go upstairs to use the bathroom at night. No matter what time I showed up, 2nd captain Tim was around, watching over everything, including the charging table next to the bridge. I did not recognize it at the time, but everything was by the book, safety briefing onward Getting wrecked with Wookie and Netdoc :) I miss the Spree.

Even if the owner/company is ultimately responsible, the captain has to take a lot of blame, if only for the fact that he is the one who allowed them to ignore the rule on the roving watch.
I don't necessarily disagree, but shouldn't there have been some record of the roving watch, that would/should have been reviewed by the owner?

I don't necessarily disagree, but shouldn't there have been some record of the roving watch, that would/should have been reviewed by the owner?
I don't doubt that the owner was ultimately responsible because he did not require the watch at all, let alone require evidence of it. On the other hand, I am sure he did not order the captain NOT to have a watch. The captain knew the rules, and the captain knew the importance of the watch. Even if the owner was lax in not demanding it, the captain could have and should have insisted on the watch.

We protect our data centres at all cost, why can’t we also have automatic fire suppression systems on charter boats mandated. Gosh we even have them in underground parking lots.

I was working today, so missed the live stream. KEYT is a news station local to Santa Barbara, and they posted recordings to YouTube today, in two parts.

The first part is about 2 hours, 4 minutes, and is available here:
The second part is about 1 hour, 35 minutes, and is available here:
I haven't yet gone through these, will try to give them the attention they deserve throughout the week. Until that time, I don't have much to add to the thread, just wanted to post the links here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom