NTSB opens public docket on Conception fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are centrally monitored smoke detectors not required? Does the USCG processes deter people from making safety improvements?
they are expensive to install in existing grandfathered vessels. the certified units themselves and the retrofitting. In this case the various industry stakeholders have been successful at lobbying so that they aren't forced to upgrade.
I know what I can do, and am doing. I pack a battery-powered Smoke & CO alarm on any overnight trip, and it goes wherever I sleep.

Does anyone know if someone is trying to make a fireproof charging box? Seems like a growing need given all the rechargeable stuff with questionable batteries/chargers that everyone has now.

A vessel could have an indoor one for phones and AA chargers, maybe a laptop or two, and a bigger outside one for stuff that gets wet or otherwise won't fit in the small one.

Thinking on my gear at this point, I would have to charge:
Dive computer
Phone (maybe, depending on location)
strobe batteries
camera battery
dive light
laptop

Multiply that times 20 pax or so, and it is an electrical nightmare, not even considering the sealed stuff that would be wet and salty charging next to stuff that can't get wet.

It was an accident waiting to happen, and probably has happened multiple times, but either during the day or on a boat with a night watch.

-Chris

Does anyone know if someone is trying to make a fireproof charging box? Seems like a growing need given all the rechargeable stuff with questionable batteries/chargers that everyone has now.

A vessel could have an indoor one for phones and AA chargers, maybe a laptop or two, and a bigger outside one for stuff that gets wet or otherwise won't fit in the small one.

Dive computer
strobe batteries
camera battery
dive light
laptop

Multiply that times 20 pax or so, and it is an electrical nightmare, not even considering the sealed stuff that would be wet and salty charging next to stuff that can't get wet.

It was an accident waiting to happen, and probably has happened multiple times, but either during the day or on a boat with a night watch.

-Chris
Like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/COLCASE-Fireproof-Explosionproof-Charging-198x150x135mm/dp/B0719H46PF

Dive computer
strobe batteries
camera battery
dive light
laptop

-Chris

This tragedy put the fear of God in me about charging anything beyond my iPhone while sleeping. I now travel (by car) with enough spare batteries for my dive lights that I don't have to do any charging. My camera is a small GoPro style camera that can be charged before I go to sleep. Dive computer takes AA (Perdix).

Is that thing really fireproof? Against a battery fire? Looks like a soft sided cooler. If so, yes! like 15 of 'em.

ETA: Wow, the first review! Impressive, but small. I'll stick with the 15 of them comment.

I was thinking more along the line of an actual flames cabinet like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-1901-Cabinet-Flammable-Liquids/dp/B003JFL5VG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=33GE9NM59T525&dchild=1&keywords=flame+cabinet+small&qid=1600639022&sprefix=Flame+cab,toys-and-games,175&sr=8-4

But with a big fat 4 ga power line running into it with a crap ton of rated outlets and breakers, and all the proper electrician stuff to keep it from catching on fire in the first place.

Is that thing really fireproof? Against a battery fire? Looks like a soft sided cooler. If so, yes! like 15 of 'em.

ETA: Wow, the first review! Impressive, but small. I'll stick with the 15 of them comment.

I was thinking more along the line of an actual flames cabinet like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-1901-Cabinet-Flammable-Liquids/dp/B003JFL5VG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=33GE9NM59T525&dchild=1&keywords=flame+cabinet+small&qid=1600639022&sprefix=Flame+cab,toys-and-games,175&sr=8-4

But with a big fat 4 ga power line running into it with a crap ton of rated outlets and breakers, and all the proper electrician stuff to keep it from catching on fire in the first place.
I prefer the Fling/Spree way. Keep a Captain right next to the charging station (and awake) at all times.

I’ve thrown more than one smoking charger overboard.

Stainless steel table with a subdivided stainless hutch on it with a stainless door. Outside, with nothing over it. Assuming you don’t cheap out on the metal thickness, when you close the door you are good, iIf needed, like it starts glowing red, you train a hose on it until it stops steaming.

Or the Spree’s approach, that seems to work.

Do they come in larger sizes? Might need something bigger...

upload_2020-9-20_19-23-53.png

upload_2020-9-20_19-29-29.png

upload_2020-9-20_19-30-0.png

upload_2020-9-20_19-23-34.png

upload_2020-9-20_19-32-18.png

Stainless steel table with a subdivided stainless hutch on it with a stainless door. Outside, with nothing over it. Assuming you don’t cheap out on the metal thickness, when you close the door you are good, iIf needed, like it starts glowing red, you train a hose on it until it stops steaming.

Or the Spree’s approach, that seems to work.
Well normally flammables get stored in things like these
Flammable Cabinet 12 Gallon 35" x 23" x 18" Manual Door

There is a extinguisher port on the side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom