Nuclear plant fatality - Marseilles, Illinois

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a traveling screen

View attachment 550059
The trash screen rotates up and out of the water to allow it to be cleaned of debris by non diving personnel. Works fine up the point that something jams in the screen, or the screen comes off the track. Divers work on them with the plant operating, we used to get the power company to throttle down in off peak hours, but it is a lot of water moving through that screen.

Most of the plants I have been in also has a metal grate in front of the screen to catch larger items.Along with a rake that can be lowered along the grate to pull up things caught in the grate, like a log, old boat parts, Jimmy Hoffa, etc.
That's terrifying.

So I'm sure you are familiar with lock out, tag out, having dove everything on planet Earth?

I'm familiar with it being a myth. I went through a 2 hour lock out tag out at the Port St. Lucie Plant on all the travelling water screens on Reactor 1. We climbed into Pump 1 on Reactor 1. 30 minutes into the dive we heard Pump 2 kick on. Thank God the coin flip was to start cleaning Pump 1 first or I'd have been ketchup.

I'm familiar with it being a myth. I went through a 2 hour lock out tag out at the Port St. Lucie Plant on all the travelling water screens on Reactor 1. We climbed into Pump 1 on Reactor 1. 30 minutes into the dive we heard Pump 2 kick on. Thank God the coin flip was to start cleaning Pump 1 first or I'd have been ketchup.
Seriously this is my biggest fear. Number one fear is getting sucked into one of those dam glory holes. This whole thread, ugh.

Happened to two kids at Crystal River back in the early 80's.

Any LOTO, That is done with The folks in that area is a joke. Won’t say the name someone already did. Instead of locks they use tywraps and cards. So in essence if the operator decides to use a piece of equipment that is supposed to locked out, I always think of the meme “is it really though”?

TyWraps are legal for LOTO as long as they require 40 pounds or more to break them.

The official OSHA guidelines on LOTO procedures do not fit well into all industrial activities. Sometimes it is necessary to use modified procedures.

TyWraps are legal for LOTO as long as they require 40 pounds or more to break them.

The official OSHA guidelines on LOTO procedures do not fit well into all industrial activities. Sometimes it is necessary to use modified procedures.

I used my own lock out procedure. I didn't depend on tie wraps or their locks I used my own locks. Either my tender had the keys or if I was working alone I would take the keys down with me.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thanks to KathyV for bringing perspective back to this thread here in the A&I subforum.

We aren't going to delete the humour that erupted in this thread but are going to start a new thread under Advanced to put it in and would appreciate it if those knowledgeable enough about/interested in this kind of diving keep posting there.

We also request that respectful information continue to be shared in this thread.

Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom