Nudibranch - Channel Islands, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eponym

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've looked at some SoCal slug ID sites but haven't found the one I saw, so here goes. Don't have a photo of it.

Spotted a nudi (I think) on a dive last week. I was in Southern California, off West Anacapa Island (in the Channel Islands). The skipper called the site "Three Fingers Cave."

The dive started at midday. The critter was motionless on a vertical piece of bare rock, a couple of inches above the sand bottom, at about 48 FSW. Water temp around 63.

This critter is about two inches long and three-quarter inches across, or maybe smaller.
The body is black with very fine white dots, fine enough to give an impression of velvet.
It sports two bright stripes running from head (wide apart) to tail (closer together).
Each stripe is composed of a red line and a blue line.
The stripes are startlingly bright and very narrow, like very fine piping.

Any guesses or pointers?

Any rhinophores or obvious gills?

I could see two rhinophores, same coloring (black).

Are you sure it wasn't a flatworm?

Not sure at all. My vision's not what it used to be.
And my field ID skills aren't much better.

Good suggestion. Here's an image of a flatworm that's similar in coloration, except it lacks the reb & blue piping. And I didn't notice a white edge.

nudibranch9.jpg

Or possibly Navanax polyalphos given the description of fine white dots

Yes, N. inermis looks like it. Nice photo!
Thanks, Max, Dr. Bill, for the help.
I think it's finally time for me to tote a camera on my dives . . .

Bryan

That was the primary reason for me to pick up a camera -- I wanted to be able to look stuff up in my books!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom