Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what do you mean "thought"? :p
Depending on where you are mentally you look at things a bit different though, dont you? Like if you're an avid photographer you look at whats around you in a more.. "artistic" manner than someone whos just talking an afternoon stroll..

I was in Anilao (Philippines) and did 44 dives at Club Ocellaris. Most everyone went crazy for nudibranchs and other unique critters like the pygmy seahorses. I spent most of my time filming the common stuff (like soft and hard corals) since they have far greater impact on ecosystem functioning. I think some of the other divers and the DMs thought I was crazy, but many of the nudibranchophiles I meet are like the life list birders. However, I love great pictures of nudies from around the world!

I know what you mean Dr. Bill, us nudibranchophiles often feel the same way. I was in Socorro diving with the megafauna and photographing sea goddesses. Everyone one the boat thought I was crazy. You've got me pegged I am a life list birder.

Anilao, Philippines is considered THE Nudibranch Mecca after all.

As you well know your local waters are full of Nudis, here is a Spanish Shawl (Flabellina iodinea) The common Nudibranch in SoCal.

Spanish Shall Nudi lovers.jpg

Looks like Nudibranch Lovers is on a roll, we have Nudi photos from Australia, South Africa, North Carolina and Florida so far, Wow! Nudibranchophiles from around the world unite!

Looks like Nudibranch Lovers is on a roll, we have Nudi photos from Australia, South Africa, North Carolina and Florida so far, Wow! Nudibranchophiles from around the world unite!
All the ones in my flickr set (including the little family I posted here - which btw is probably the least good photo) is taken in the Red Sea (Strait of Tiran to Ras Mohammed)

Nice run of Flabelina going.

So far we have Nudis from California, British Columbia, North Carolina, Florida, Egypt, South Africa, Australia and Philippines.

All in under 24 hours, keep em coming.

Here's the last one I have that's worth sharing (I'm unfortunately not the greatest photographer):

PICT0024.jpg

You'll have to click on the pic to see clearly. It's a Cape Silvertip nudibranch with its egg ribbon (the weird squiggly bit in the middle). Both the pics I posted were taken on the wreck of the SAS Pietermaritzburg (Miller's Point, Cape Town, South Africa), scuttled about 20 years ago to form an artificial reef. It's useless for those who like to do penetrations since the structure's become very unstable, but it has a nice variety of critters living on it. The sand beneath the wreck is at about 20 metres (65 feet); the topmost part of the structure at about 15 metres (50 feet). So it's shallow enough to have quite a long dive searching for nudibranchs and other interesting little creatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom