Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What an amazing variety of Nudibranchs!

Phil's (Maxbottomtime) last set could be used as a field guide to the Dorids of southern California. Although not a Dorid the Triopha catalinae aka Clown Nudibranch is one of my new favorites. Diving 9 Fathoms, Cortez Banks this September the orange and white clowns were so abundant we called the site 'Clown Town' We found at least 30 of the little buggers.

Wisnu from Kazakhstan just put Indonesia on the Nudi map with some great shots! What kind of strobes are you using to produce that amazing luminosity?

Steve_C has shown us that there are more than Sand Tiger sharks off South Carolina's shores. Are your Nudi shots from the wrecks?

Any more Nudibranch finding tips out there? Are some exclusively nocturnal?

How do you get the photos to post as full frame in the text as opposed to thumbnails???

The main trick to finding nudibranchs is to make sure your vision is good (use contacts or prescription lenses if your eyes require it) and MOVE SLOW.
Spanish dancers is one that is definetly easier to find at night than during daytime. Ive never seen them during the day but Ive found a few doing night dives :)

Agreed Tigerman, going slow, poking around is the best bet.

Nudis are easy to miss, here is on that almost got away, Bohol Philippines

Ton with Nudi Alona copy.jpg

How do you get the photos to post as full frame in the text as opposed to thumbnails???
I resize all the photos I post to 800 wide and upload them to photo hosting sites such as Photobucket, Flickr or my Scubaboard gallery. I copy the image code from there and paste it into my post. An even easier way is to simply drag an image into your post from another page.

What an amazing variety of Nudibranchs!

Wisnu from Kazakhstan just put Indonesia on the Nudi map with some great shots! What kind of strobes are you using to produce that amazing luminosity?

Thanks Tjack,
I use S&S YS-01 strobes
and for the photos, I simply embed the bbcodes (?) from my flickr album. We can choose the pixel sizes for more convenient view.

Thanks for the tips on posting full size images as opposed to thumbnails.

I found that if I use the "Go advanced" posting option and click on the attached image a box where you can select between thumbnail, small, medium or large format will open.

I'll test it out with this black and white Nudi from Cabilao, Philippines

Black and White Nudi Cabilao 3 copy.jpg

What a wonderful thread :) ... and I wish I'd be able to take such great photographs (I just shoot pictures, IMHO a huge difference ;-) ) But there's a little thing that I'd like to share. We found this fellow when we've been at Dauin:

[video=vimeo;64137336]http://vimeo.com/64137336[/video]

Hooded Nudibranch - Philippines 2013 on Vimeo

Last edited:
I posted this photo in another thread, but thought it would be appropriate here as well! I found this guy at the beginning of our first dive, and my dive buddy got some great photos of it.

Gold Crowned Sea Goddess. Boynton Beach FL, "Clubhouse Reef" yesterday morning.

Gold_Crowned_Regal_Sea_Goddess-5500.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom