Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spanish Shawl from yesterday.
40280889072_42179ef06a_b.jpg

Last edited:
@ macado - that first picture is fantastic, I love the detail inside the cerata. Do you know the species? Some type of Flabellina?

@ macado - that first picture is fantastic, I love the detail inside the cerata. Do you know the species? Some type of Flabellina?

Yup. Flabellina s.p. "verrilli" Technically it's Coryphella s.p now though I recently learned?
Flabellinidae, a family of nudibranchs in controversy

Although "verrilli" is not valid scientific name but it's what a lot of people call them up here. There is an interesting controversy this this particular nudibranch. I guess it was described in Kuzirian, A.M. (1979) Taxonomy and biology of four New England coryphellid nudibranchs. Journal of Molluscan Studies, 45: 239-261.
The Sea Slug Forum - Flabellina sp. 6

Had a great time last week up in God's Pocket, BC. Many nudibranch sightings, so here's a few of the best:

Melibe leonina (Hooded nudibranch).
IMG_5952-2.jpg

Flabellina trophina
IMG_5028.jpg

Tochuina tetraquetra (Orange peel nudibranch)
IMG_5580.jpg

Dirona albolineata (White-lined dirona).
IMG_5866.jpg

Dendronotus rufus (Red dendronotid)
IMG_5808.jpg

Can't ID this one. Less than an inch long, no particularly distinguishing features...
IMG_5843.jpg

Peltodoris lentiginosa (Freckled dorid) and their eggs.
IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5728.jpg

Last edited:
Spent a week in Anilao a couple of weeks ago and still recovering from a cold that I caught on Day 4 that ended my diving for the 8 day trip :(

Water temps were 2C lower than the same time two years ago, so at 26C my 3mm didn't quite cut it, in particular for long dives. The weather was overcast and frequently raining so it was not possible to warm up in between dives.

Surprisingly I found and photographed more frogfish than nudis, but here's some of the nudis.

Goniobranchus fidelis

full

Thecacera picta

full

Flabellina exoptata

full

Not sure which one this is, thinking along the lines of Cratena sp

full

and one of several Melibe sp

full

Had a great time last week up in God's Pocket, BC. Many nudibranch sightings, so here's a few of the best:
Great photos...and great meeting you! The weather has cleared since you left but the vis has gone to pot. Merry and I just finished a night dive with five feet of silty vis.

The one of the Dirona albolineata (White-lined dirona) is stunning.

The unidentified one almost looks like Onchidoris muricata . At least, similar to what I would see in New England. I believe they have them on West Coast too..

Can't ID this one. Less than an inch long, no particularly distinguishing features...
View attachment 456817

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom