Numbers for the Thunderbolt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drew0930

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a chance to dive from a buddies boat in Marathon in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have good numbers on the Thunderbolt? I read on another thread that some of the numbers posted on another website weren't accurate. If someone has them off of their own GPS, I'd greatly appreciate if they'd share.
I also read that there's no mooring ball at the surface. Is that still correct that you have to locate it and freedive to tie in? Thanks

Only number's I've seen are from floridakeys.noaa.gov

GPS: 24-39.663N 80-57.784W

How accurate I don't know.

Yep there are two mooring balls one on the bow and one on the stern. They are sunk to a depth of about 15ft. The numbers I have are Lat 24 39.48 Long 80 57.90 which come out of Ned DeLoach's Under Water Florida book. The variance in the numbers may be from one mooring ball to the other, I have no idea. Good Luck!

While I am sure you are aware, one of your crew will need to hit the water with a line that has a shackle on the end to tie in. From there you can run a granny line down.

In most conditions it is pretty easy to see the ball, but if the seas are up, it may take awhile to find them.

Yep there are two mooring balls one on the bow and one on the stern. They are sunk to a depth of about 15ft.

Re: numbers in middle keys
thunderbolt - 80-125'
has 2 submerged bouys: 24.39.674/80.57.794 and 24.39.650/80.57.768

nice ledge off long key - 80-90'
24.42.756/80.50.443

But Long Key is known for many aggressive sharks so be careful. Both are really nice dives.:D
Have fun and dive safe
Becky

Yep there are two mooring balls one on the bow and one on the stern. They are sunk to a depth of about 15ft. The numbers I have are Lat 24 39.48 Long 80 57.90 which come out of Ned DeLoach's Under Water Florida book. The variance in the numbers may be from one mooring ball to the other, I have no idea. Good Luck!

I see three different ones so far. :D

I wonder if Captain Hooks r Tilden's would give you the numbers? They run out there fairly frequently? I doubt they are secretive about it since it's a known wreck??? Worth a shot though....

I'm wondering if he updated the numbers in a "more recent" version of the book that I have. we used the numbers in the Ned DeLoach Underwater Florida book to try to find it a couple years ago and could never find it.

never saw any buoys (submerged or other) and never found it on the depth finder running figure 8's all over the site.

(note: I've got either the 9th or 10th edition book. he's on 11th edition now I think).

I see three different ones so far. :D

Yeup.

I think Abyss Dive Center does this wreck also, they may be able to provide some numbers. I think Abyss or Captain Hook will do this dive by request. I've not been down
there in a while but if anyone gets a group together I'd be interested in diving this
wreck again.

The numbers I posted are from the 11th version.

The numbers I have given you are from my GPS. But if you would like this to help you here ya go.

Dive Sites Florida Keys

A Deep Blue Doie goes out all the time to the Thunderbolt if you are looking for a charter. But I would say get a boat fill your tanks and go have fun:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom