Numbness in fingers - risk of DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,

We are diving in Lembeh, Indonesia and did two dives this morning. 32m max, 45min and 24m max 65min. 1hr15 surface interval in-between. Nothing unusual about the dives or different to what I've done before - slow ascent, safety stop etc. Towards the end of the second dive my finger tips started to go numb and stayed that way until about 30min after when they went tingly for awhile and are now fine. I didn't think I was especially cold, but the symptoms seemed like what would happen from cold and lack of movement. I was also a little dehydrated. No other symptoms. Just trying to rule out DCS...what do you think? We do have DAN, But it is difficult to contact them from here. They need a 24hr msg/chat service!

I am keen to dive again this evening, so just trying to figure out how cautious I need to be.

Thanks so much!
Kate.

Numb during the dive sounds more like Raynaud's disease.
Fingers go white, nail beds blue?
I've had it most of my adult life. In my case probably years of motorcycle riding in all weather. Sometime just being in a cool house will set it off. Diving seldom does for me, though it can.

Read the link. If that sounds like your problem, you were cold. You don't have to be shivering cold either, just a 'certain amount' of cold and you get the excessive vascular shut down in the fingers. It can be genetic, caused by some drugs (blood pressure medications), or environmental damage like lots of vibration (jackhammer use, motorcycle hand grip vibration, etc.). Dehydration would exacerbate the problem, and is a really bad idea when diving that hard, as you should know.

Bulk up the suit protection. Put a hood on. Drink warm water between dives. Pee in the suit if you have to. Way better than being bent.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom