Numbness in the leg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnj1233

Contributor
Reaction score
Presently experiencing numbness from the kneecap to the ankle on right side of right leg. I originally blamed this on a torn quad muscle which has since healed. I am now wondering if they were seperate issues and I actually took a DCI hit. My profiles did not violate any stops however several dives were to the deco limits and between 100-140 ft. Symptoms began in late Aug. and continue today 11/19. Any advise?????

P.S. No motor nerve problems only sensory numbness.

See a doctor. Had you done any heavy or awkward lifting? A slipped or ruptured disc can pinch a nerve and cause localized numbness. It can also cause nerve damage so have it checked out.

Call DAN (Diver's Alert Network). The number is at the top of your screen.

Call now and don't wait. They're open 24 hours

Terry

mnj1233:
Presently experiencing numbness from the kneecap to the ankle on right side of right leg. I originally blamed this on a torn quad muscle which has since healed. I am now wondering if they were seperate issues and I actually took a DCI hit. My profiles did not violate any stops however several dives were to the deco limits and between 100-140 ft. Symptoms began in late Aug. and continue today 11/19. Any advise?????

I have called DAN. Unsure. Possible disc issue, just racking my brain to think of when it may have occurred. As I said it was complicated with an injury to my Hip Flexer one of the quads. Looking for anyone who has had similar symptoms, Im at a loss. MRI next week.

mnj1233:

OK, DAN issue resolved.

I am a runner and have torn a hip flexor and a quad. Both Hurt like heck. Sorry to hear you did that. Depending on where the tear was, you may have damaged a nerve. The MRI may or may not show that but the MRI is a good next step.

Any weakness or do you have full use of the leg now?

LavaSurfer:
OK, DAN issue resolved.

I am a runner and have torn a hip flexor and a quad. Both Hurt like heck. Sorry to hear you did that. Depending on where the tear was, you may have damaged a nerve. The MRI may or may not show that but the MRI is a good next step.

Any weakness or do you have full use of the leg now?

Definitely had weakness for several weeks. I literally had to lift my leg into the truck, stairs were a son.....b....h. The atrophy has subsided nicely but its just nagging at me that I could have experienced DCS and not done anything promptly. Hell I dont even like talkin about it now. Denial is my biggest downfall. Thanks for your concern and replies.

Mitch

mnj1233:
Definitely had weakness for several weeks. I literally had to lift my leg into the truck, stairs were a son.....b....h. The atrophy has subsided nicely but its just nagging at me that I could have experienced DCS and not done anything promptly. Hell I dont even like talkin about it now. Denial is my biggest downfall. Thanks for your concern and replies.

Mitch

Let me know what you find out.

mnj1233:
I have called DAN. Unsure. Possible disc issue, just racking my brain to think of when it may have occurred. As I said it was complicated with an injury to my Hip Flexer one of the quads. Looking for anyone who has had similar symptoms, Im at a loss. MRI next week.

Woke up one morning and my left arm was numb. In fact it was so bad I could not move it at all. Emergency room Dr said stroke and kept me in for four days (until I discharged myself). When I went to see another Dr about starting diving again he disagreed with the stroke call. After more MRI's he said it was 7 dislocated vertebra with burn spurs in the neck.

cdiver2:
Woke up one morning and my left arm was numb. In fact it was so bad I could not move it at all. Emergency room Dr said stroke and kept me in for four days (until I discharged myself). When I went to see another Dr about starting diving again he disagreed with the stroke call. After more MRI's he said it was 7 dislocated vertebra with burn spurs in the neck.

What did the Docs do after making the second diagnosis?

Back
Top Bottom