Nurse Shark Encounters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Globe was a Nantucket whaling ship in 1800's. William Comstock was I believe a Boatseer on the ship and, together with a handful of crew members, murdered all the ships officers. He landed in Milli with the idea of setting himself up as a sort of god/chief among the natives on a tropical paradise. Some of the men (his brother among them) became worried Comstock was going to destroy the ship and kill off the crew and stole away at night while he was on the island. A power struggle amongst the mutineers led to Comstock being murdered. Shortyly thereafter, due to harsh treatment, the natives massacered all but 2 of the remaining Globe crew (who did not participate in the mutiny). The natives kept these 2 as virtual slaves for a couple of years until they were rescued by a US Navy ship sent by the crew who stole away from Milli in the Globe. Very bloody mutiny as was the massacer by the natives. James Michener recounts the story in his book Rascals in Paradise. There are also 2 new books that have come out the last few months about it. The story of the 2 who were kept as slaves and their rescue is as interesting as the Comstock part.

Im not sure where I heard it or if I read it somewhere. But it was that more divers are bitten by nurse sharks than any other sharks. Because thay are so calm around divers, and yes I have petted nurse sharks myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom