NW Florida Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba kbell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

I am going to NW Florida at the end of this month, but I am trying to decide between staying in the Pensacola, Destin, or Panama City area. How does the diving compare between the different areas (conditions, distance from shore, etc.) I am AOW certified but prefer diving shallower sites, so I don't have much interest in going to the Oriskany. Also, I would prefer to dive with a dive shop over a private charter. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have never been in the area and am looking forward to any feedback that anyone has. Thanks! :D

Diving isn't that much different between those places. To dive the O you will need to catch a boat out of Pensacola. If you want to do some dives in the springs while you are here then Destin or PCB is a better option but none of those places are far from each other. I think on average diving out of PCB or Destin is cheaper and there is some better shore diving in PCB. Destin has more to do for the family and PCB has more to do for the single person after the dive. I don't really consider Pensacola to be a resort town.

I usually go out on the sea cobra in Destin. The CPT runs a nice boat.

Dr Dive here. Good diving at all mentioned locations. Basic conditions are similar across the panhandle. Pensacola, in my opinion, has more variety/sites to choose from and has many sites from 26 ft to 80 ish ft for those preferring shallower sites. That said, look at your overall vacation plans/goals.
In Pensacola, charter operators are independent from shops. That said, there is a lot of mutual assistance between operators and the shops. You should be able to get what you need to meet your expectations. If you don't, call me.
Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany

Having dove in all three places....I have to agree with Dr. Dive. Pensacola offers a variety of boats and a variety of dive sites. I wouldn't get caught up on the shop owning the boat in this area. I would also personally recommend calling Dr. Dive. Pensacola is fortunate to have numerous dive boats with great captains. If you have not looked at this thread yet I would encourage you to do so. Although it is listed as the Oriskany thread, the information about the boats and captains will help you with diving any of the Pensacola locations.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/198536-all-inclusive-oriskany-thread.html

I'm a Panama City Beach fan. There are a lot of options for dive sites including shore dives. Everybody I've met in the local shops have been great. It's a short drive up to Vortex Spring, Morrison Spring and Merrits Mill pond to experience some of Florida's great spring dives as well. Heres a link showing some of the area dive shops Diving In And Around The Panhandle | Florida Dive Connection

Pensacola is my choice. You can shore dive as well as boat dive. I like Dive Pros as far as dive shops go. They have a great selection of gear and get your tanks filled in a timely manner. As far as charters go, Dr Dive is a good choice, I've dove with him a few times and always had a great experience.

I live in panama city and dive Panama City beach quite frequently. I like diving the Jetties in the St. Andrews St. Park. We also have great shops. The one I like the best is Panama City Dive Charters. Capt Pat has his own boat and a few local captains that can take you out, for diving from 20 to 80. The Red Sea tug is nice and the Black Bart wreck is one of my favorites. hth josh

Thanks everyone! I think we decided on Panama City. I know it changes day to day, but what kind of conditions can I expect this time of year? Are strong currents/rough water common? How about water temp so I know what kind of wetsuit to bring?

The only thing you can predict is water temps. My log shows minimum temps in PCB between 71-83 this time of year, but it's been toasty this year, so I would expect the high side of that scale.

I'd bring a full suit and a hood though, we've had some jellyfish issues in the Pensacola area that may end up in PCB too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom