NYC-Based, Relatively New Diver, New to the Board!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

forzaNYC

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

Newb to the board here! Got my OW certification in Summer 2016 and AOW this past summer. Have logged around 25 dives--all in relatively warm water (Fiji, Australia, Greece, and most recently Catalina Island, CA). I'm based in NYC, though, and definitely interested in taking advantage of whatever dive opportunities are available near here. I'm aware of Dutch Springs out in PA, as well as some of the vessels that go out to the wrecks in Jersey, but that's about it. Any NYC area dive fanatics on this board with good intel on the options for a buddy-less diver around these parts? (Tried to get my wife into scuba--she tried it and said, "nah dawg.")

Cheers!

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...sorry but i don't know anything about northeast USA diving...good luck and I'm sure there's someone here to help.

Best thing you could do is join a local dive club such as NYC Sea Gypsies, they meet once a month and always good speakers- Home
Or there Is Westchester TSSC scuba club which meets in North White Plains. The Scuba Sports Club 2016 - Home
Best way to meetup with other local divers short of visiting NYC Dive shops which for most cases are overpriced and trying to sell their dive trips. I would also suggest you attend Beneath the Seas in march 2018 in Secaucus NJ, this is one of the largest Dive shows in the country.

This board here supplemented with the Gypsy's are all you'll need to enjoy diving....welcome to the asylum.

Hello all,

Newb to the board here! Got my OW certification in Summer 2016 and AOW this past summer. Have logged around 25 dives--all in relatively warm water (Fiji, Australia, Greece, and most recently Catalina Island, CA). I'm based in NYC, though, and definitely interested in taking advantage of whatever dive opportunities are available near here. I'm aware of Dutch Springs out in PA, as well as some of the vessels that go out to the wrecks in Jersey, but that's about it. Any NYC area dive fanatics on this board with good intel on the options for a buddy-less diver around these parts? (Tried to get my wife into scuba--she tried it and said, "nah dawg.")

Cheers!
Hey, welcome to the board! I'm right around the same number of dives and also stuck with happily married to a non-diver! Haven't dove any of the local wrecks yet, but I try to dive somewhat regularly at Dutch, and even more locally at Beach 8th Street in Far Rockaway. I'm in Astoria and happy to buddy up once the weather gets warmer.

I'll also echo what others have said about joining the Sea Gypsies. They have some good yearly events and are probably the best way to meet folks who can introduce you to local wreck diving.

Steve

Hey there! I'm also NYC based, around the same experience level and without a regular dive buddy. I'd be happy to coordinate with you two on local trips when the weather gets warmer :)

I'd 3rd the Sea Gypsies suggestion - their email distribution list alone has lots of people looking for buddies. Gotham Divers (local shop on the LES) also organizes a bunch of wreck dives with local charters I'm interested in checking out next year.

Cheers!
Alex

Yup, the Sea Gypsies will help you meet divers, socialize with divers and even DIVE with all your new friends! Feel free to PM me with questions if you like, I'm past president and current dive chair. We have meetings with great lectures once a month, as well as monthly underwater photo society meetings and monthly dinners, etc... We have a special program for getting people into northeast diving, if you are interested in that...

NYC Sea Gypsies website

Check the websites of the dive shops in NY, NJ and CT. They all run regular trips. Yes they are selling their packages, but if you dont have a lot of experience it saves a lot of time in trip planning. Also, the social aspect of diving with 8 to 12 people makes those trips more fun than going solo.

Hello from a native Yonkersite. Shore diving in the area basically sucks. CT maybe 12`. NJ, maybe 3 sites "close" to NYC. L.I.: A few OK spots IF you can find parking not requiring a local sticker on your car. Check out NY/NJ Shore Beach Sites (or something like that). They have pretty good descriptions/directions though some are out of date. There is a sub forum for NYC area divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom